Watering cups, Spouts, Gravity bowls?

They are good for keeping the water cool in the summer months and while water does freeze in them they don't tend to crack like the plastic containers.
Stoneware?
How is it filled?
How thick are the walls?
Does the whole thing freeze solid...I would think that would crack it.
How cold, and for how long, does it actually get there?

Stoneware?
How is it filled?
How thick are the walls?
Does the whole thing freeze solid...I would think that would crack it.
How cold, and for how long, does it actually get there?
You fill it by holding it under a tap.
They are made out of clay and baked.
It depends, anything form 10mm to 15 for the bottle itself. The cup about 6mm at the base.
Down to -6 (20 F) quite often. Occasionally a few degrees lower.
The water in the cup tends to freeze but the water in the bottle doesn't.

SA :smack I don't see a fill hole, on the bottom maybe?

Does it freeze solid or just a skim?
Yup, the hole is at the back of the cup at the bottom of the bottle.
The cup freezes solid quite often, or has in the past.
I put most of the waterers in the nearest coop when it gets cold. The others defrost during the day. Most winters while it may get what is considered cold here during the night, the days tend to be much warmer with plenty of sunshine.
I find them a good solution. For those where it stays frozen for weeks they may not be.

In Summer I use a plastic gravity bowl and a large silver dog bowl outside. They love drinking from the dog bowl, I change it every day to 1.5 days cause they make a mess and drink a lot. Inside for winter I just use open heated water/dog bowls. I know its messy but I tried a 5 gallon bucket with water cups they had to press and it took forever just to seal up the spouts for me..once that was done the chickens did not like having to figure out to use their beak to release water in the cup. I tried it a good week, trying ot show them but I never saw in person or any evidence of them doing it themselves. I just stick to basic waterers and dog bowls.

In Summer I use a plastic gravity bowl and a large silver dog bowl outside. They love drinking from the dog bowl, I change it every day to 1.5 days cause they make a mess and drink a lot. Inside for winter I just use open heated water/dog bowls. I know its messy but I tried a 5 gallon bucket with water cups they had to press and it took forever just to seal up the spouts for me..once that was done the chickens did not like having to figure out to use their beak to release water in the cup. I tried it a good week, trying ot show them but I never saw in person or any evidence of them doing it themselves. I just stick to basic waterers and dog bowls.
bmanty you use the same exact setup as I do. I tried the little refillable cup with the lever in it a long time ago and they didn't use it... drank lots when I filled the cup but didn't work it themselves. So I just stick with the open drinking methods, they work well and I know they are getting enough.

I have a system to keep the water clean and I don't have to go inside the coop to fill. It is an insulated picnic cooler outside the coop and elevated about two feet off the ground. A clear tube is attached to the cooler and fed through the hardware cloth to the inside of the coop. Then I used a one foot length of pvc pipe. Both ends were capped. One cap had a hole drilled to accept the other end of the clear tube. Both ends of the tube have a plastic converter for easy attachment. Four holes were drilled to accept the plastic nipples used for providing water. The chickens took to it within minutes. In the summer, I will drop ice into the cooler to keep their water at a comfortable temperature.

Items needed:
Insulated picnic cooler
clear tubing about 3 feet long
two converters
1 piece 2" pvc pipe 1 foot long
two end caps 2"
20200107_083139.jpg

4 chicken nipples

I have a system to keep the water clean and I don't have to go inside the coop to fill. It is an insulated picnic cooler outside the coop and elevated about two feet off the ground. A clear tube is attached to the cooler and fed through the hardware cloth to the inside of the coop. Then I used a one foot length of pvc pipe. Both ends were capped. One cap had a hole drilled to accept the other end of the clear tube. Both ends of the tube have a plastic converter for easy attachment. Four holes were drilled to accept the plastic nipples used for providing water. The chickens took to it within minutes. In the summer, I will drop ice into the cooler to keep their water at a comfortable temperature.

Items needed:
Insulated picnic cooler
clear tubing about 3 feet long
two converters
1 piece 2" pvc pipe 1 foot long
two end caps 2"View attachment 1996417
4 chicken nipples

In summer I use those cup type “nipples” on a bucket. I filled each cup the first time I put it in the run. After that they did it themselves. The cups don’t refill , they only dispense water for as long as a chicken presses it. Once they have a beakfull they stop pressing, swallow, and press for another beakfull. The cups look empty but that’s normal. Once in awhile I will fill them again to wipe them out and clean them.

@buddyellie doesn’t the tubing freeze in winter?

I have a system to keep the water clean and I don't have to go inside the coop to fill.
Nice @buddyellie !
Any problem with algae in that clear tube?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2020-1-8_15-24-21.png

Wondering everyone's opinion on watering systems an types? Right now I am using the traditional gravity one gal plastic deal with open bottom edge. But looking for some other options?
I use plastic water dishes
20191130_085648.jpg

Attachments

• 20191130_085648.jpg
    20191130_085648.jpg
    950.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom