Watering cups

kdk1101

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Indian Land, SC
I think I want to go with the little watering cups when I move my chicks out to their coop. If I wanted to put them on a 5 gallon bucket would I need to do more than drill the right size holes in the bucket and silicone around the edge to prevent leaks?

I can't help with the answer, I use horizontal nipples and highly recommend them.
I think there might be a couple people on here who use the cups or have tried them. Have you read any reviews on amazon, they're not very good.

I can't help with the answer, I use horizontal nipples and highly recommend them.
I think there might be a couple people on here who use the cups or have tried them. Have you read any reviews on amazon, they're not very good.
How long did it take your birds to learn to drink out of them? And can it use them with babies? My youngest set I got Friday at 24-48 hours old.

I bought a bucket from tsc with the cups already installed, so can't help you there. But, they work fine for now. I think people do not realize how the cups work. We can hold the yellow lever down to fill the cup, but the chicken only pecks at it which allows a drip of water out. I check to see if they are working periodically.
The problem could arise when the temps start freezing and at that time I will resort back to my heated waterer.
I have read it is easier to keep the horizontal nipples from freezing, so if I were to get something different, I might go that route. :confused:
Either way - chickens can figure it out regardless of which way you decide to water them. Mine were drinking rain drops off of siding this morning. ;)

We've had ours for about a month...they still won't peck at it
That's so strange. I got my day old chicks and set them directly on the vertical nipples (easier to depress than the horizontal ones). One of them took a hot minute to figure it out but they all transitioned. Maybe it was easier for me because I never gave them any choice in the matter- it's all they've known!

Back
Top Bottom