Watering nipple mess

i use nipples (teh ones that finally arrived months later) ; they came in caps already made, but the caps only fit sprite, cola, and fanta type bottles of 1.5 liters, so i cut the bottom of the bottle half way around, so that it makes like a cap that i can lift up to fill the bottle with a hose, and then the cap closes over again (not hermetically) to prevent leaves and stuff falling in to the bottles...

i have three bottles and 12 hens, but dry weather here so i fill twice a day; on a third bottle i just cut a square hole on the side to pour water in to it to refill.

the birds learned in one day; i showed each one where the water is, and the lead hen attacked the nipple anyhow, the rest followed her and learned to drink.
also, i put each bottle at a different height for a bantam, some young pullets (the shnitzels) and one higher up for the leghorns.
howver, when i fill a bowl with water or make a puddle on the dirt in their run, thye come to drink also, i think they really like scooping up water rather than 'attacking' a hard metal nipple with their beak. .. anyhow, once our summer starts, i will als put a large bowl in under teh coop for water, as their bottles are in a 'hotter' area under sun , *accessible to me howver*, and in our heat they will need much water. i will also spray their run so they will have small puddles to play in and drink from (and attract bugs).

i proabably will order more nipples and do the bucket thing for them also, animals can be without food but will die w/o access to water in our summers.

Waterer Cups have all of the benefits of nipple swithout the mess since the water stays in the cup instead of leaking all over the ground. plus chickens like being able to see their water when they drink.

Last edited:
JUST CURIOUS?? I KNEW A LADY THAT TRIED USING RABBIT TYPE NIPPLES. TO MUCH WATER. I'VE GOT THE NIPPLES SET UP ON PVC AND BUCKETS. I LIKE 'M CAUSE THEY'RE SO EASY TO WORK WITH IF ONE GOES BAD, JUST POP IT AND POP ONE BACK IN. I'M ATTACHING A PIC OF MY TUBE FEEDERS AND WATER SYSTEM. THE WATER SYSTEM HAS A 100' WATER HEATER TAPE RUN ALONG IT INSIDE FOAM INSULATION. THE WATER LINE IS ATTACHED TO A 280 TOTE. I FILL IT UP ABOUT ONCE A YEAR. I HAVE ABOUT 30 CHICKENS ON IT. SO FAR NO PROBLEMS THIS WINTER I KEEP MY ROOSTERS SEPARATED IN A COMMERCIAL CAGE WITH EVERY OTHER DIVIDER REMOVED. I TRY NOT KEEP THEM VERY LONG. THEY'RE ONLY GOOD FOR 2 THING BREEDING AND WASTING FOOD. WELL I WAS GOING TO ATTACH A PIC. BUT THE BYC SYSTEM SAYS I DON'T HAVE PERMISSION. E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT PICS. HAVE A GREAT DAY. CAROLINA WILDMAN

Back
Top Bottom