Watering

barn2717

In the Brooder
May 24, 2018
We switched from galvanized watering cans because of the rust, to plastic. Trouble is, it gets green junk on the inside and I cannot get to it with a long handled brush to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

What does that plastic watering can look like? A photo might help us come up with a way to clean it.

That green stuff is algae, I wash my waterers in a bleach solution and rinse well to get rid of it. Don't let your chickens drink that bleach solution, it's dangerous, but as long as you rinse the stuff you wash well it won't hurt them.

If you can't get to it with a long handled brush we may need to do some thinking. So what do you have to work with?

I use a dedicated toilet brush to clean my Galvanized founts. It has never seen a toilet.
If the plastic waterer opening is at least 3.5 inches, a new toilet brush should do the job, just keep it away from the bathroom. GC

I have a long handled bottle brush from Ikea that can clean pretty much any hard to reach places. Otherwise a toothbrush attached to a stick should always work as a last resort.

Keep it in a shady spot and it won't grow as much algae in future

watering can.jpg

I use a long handled brush, but cannot get the green off the underside of the indented ridges... The can lives on a heater all winter inside the coop and outside when we are above freezing

I'm not familiar with that particular waterer. How do you fill it, unscrew the red base and fill it there. That's how I do the smaller ones. Can you fit your hand in there nd scrub with a sponge, rag, or brush?

Another thought. Use a mixture of bleach and water to rinse it out well. The bleach will kill the algae. Then rinse it really well before you refill it.

Back
Top Bottom