Watermelon ok for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Annichka, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    I don't know how old they are - I have had them just over a week and got them from the feed store. They have wing featers and tail feathers (a Wyandotte, a Buff Orp, a W. Leghorn and a Black Sex-Linked) and are starting to catch serious air when they flap their little wings. They also eat like Birdzillas. I want to tame them, and I've been handling them a lot but they still seem to freak out when I put my hand in. So I hand fed them a little hunk of watermelon yesterday, and a little more today. They love it! But I worry it may not be good for them. What do you think?

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't worry....watermelon is good for them. Just don't feed them too much, keep it as a treat. You want them to eat their feed as a primary source of nutrients. My girls go crazy for the watermelon. It's especially hot here so I freeze it first, it helps to keep them cool! [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I don't think you should have a problem with it. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I feed watermelons to my girls and chicks. Not a problem...if one eats too much, watery poop for a couple of days LOL. Other than that, they love it when its hot outside!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine didn't touch watermelon when they were teensy babies. They'd probably go gah-gah over it now but I haven't gotten any recently - too pricy!

6. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Thanks guys - they really love it and it seems to be helping tame them! Though their little feathers do get a bit matted under their chins from the juice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by