Watermelon ok for chicks?

Annichka

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I don't know how old they are - I have had them just over a week and got them from the feed store. They have wing featers and tail feathers (a Wyandotte, a Buff Orp, a W. Leghorn and a Black Sex-Linked) and are starting to catch serious air when they flap their little wings. They also eat like Birdzillas. I want to tame them, and I've been handling them a lot but they still seem to freak out when I put my hand in. So I hand fed them a little hunk of watermelon yesterday, and a little more today. They love it! But I worry it may not be good for them. What do you think?

Don't worry....watermelon is good for them. Just don't feed them too much, keep it as a treat. You want them to eat their feed as a primary source of nutrients. My girls go crazy for the watermelon. It's especially hot here so I freeze it first, it helps to keep them cool!
cool.png

I feed watermelons to my girls and chicks. Not a problem...if one eats too much, watery poop for a couple of days LOL. Other than that, they love it when its hot outside!

Thanks guys - they really love it and it seems to be helping tame them! Though their little feathers do get a bit matted under their chins from the juice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom