Watery/foamy on left eye

Hi Eggcessive,
I checked Brownie's crop and it appeared to have emptied overnight but it still feels a bit spongy and not completely flat. I checked inside her vent but did not feel a stuck egg and no visible mites or lice around the vent. I cupped my hand under her vent between her legs and it felt full but it felt the same from the other hens. Brownie is a big girl (8lbs) so I could not tell if it's normal or not. She shows no interest in the feed but does drink some water on her own. Attached are pictures of the poop from last nigh and Brownie herself. Her tail is shown in the picture. I added some ACV in their water when I replaced the water last night.
The 3rd picture is the latest poop which is similar to yesterday. Looking at the poop chart found in another thread on BYC there's nothing similar to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_073614978.jpg
    IMG_20190128_073614978.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190128_073634314.jpg
    IMG_20190128_073634314.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190128_091735358_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190128_091735358_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Well I have been monitoring Brownie all day today and her condition has not changed. She's still isolated from the rest of the flock, and she doesn't move around that much. She just sits in the corner by herself and looks very tired. She managed to eat the whole scrambled egg this morning and does drink on her own. However, she would not touch the regular feed. I feel her addomen again and it appears to be enlarged and a bit firm compared to other hens. The white / green runny diarrhea continues. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Sorry that I was out today, and didn‘t see your earlier post. Did you check inside her vent with a finger to see if might have an egg stuck? With her puffy crop this morning, and her lack of appetite except for egg, I would worry about an internal laying or other reproductive disorder. She also may have a blockage in her digestive tract or a slow puffy crop, possibly due to another problem. Does she have any sour or bad odor from her beak? Has she had any thin shelled or shell-less eggs in the past? If she has a puffy crop tomorrow morning, before she has anything to eat or drink, I would give her some coconut oil, about a tsp. Place in the freezer for a few minutes, and chop into pieces that she can eat. Massage her crop several times a day. Offer water often. If you do not have coconut oil, you can give a tsp of mineral oil or olive oil, mixed into some egg or yogurt.

If you can see a vet, that would always be the best. Many of us have dealt with an unknown reproductive problem that may cause slow, impacted or sour crop. Ascites, a collection of yellow fluid in the abdomen from liver or heart failure, but also seen with reproductive disorders, and can be another reason for an enlarged abdomen. This is an article about sour and impacted crops to learn how to deal with them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sorry that I was out today, and didn‘t see your earlier post. Did you check inside her vent with a finger to see if might have an egg stuck? With her puffy crop this morning, and her lack of appetite except for egg, I would worry about an internal laying or other reproductive disorder. She also may have a blockage in her digestive tract or a slow puffy crop, possibly due to another problem. Does she have any sour or bad odor from her beak? Has she had any thin shelled or shell-less eggs in the past? If she has a puffy crop tomorrow morning, before she has anything to eat or drink, I would give her some coconut oil, about a tsp. Place in the freezer for a few minutes, and chop into pieces that she can eat. Massage her crop several times a day. Offer water often. If you do not have coconut oil, you can give a tsp of mineral oil or olive oil, mixed into some egg or yogurt.

Thank you for the response Eggcessive. I did insert my finger about an inch inside her vent but did not feel any egg. I held her several times today to give her some water and Gatorade but did not smell any bad odor. There were two occasions about two weeks ago I found broken soft shell eggs in the coop but I couldn't tell which hen(s) they belonged to. They could very well be hers. She did lay normal eggs after that. Since then I have added oyster shell to their feed and Brownie actually ate the most of it out of all the hens. I checked her crop before I put her in the crate it was full. I will check again in the morning.

On a separate note, you and a few others helped me out with my white Cochin, Snowie from another thread. I eventually sent her in for a necropsy and the full report is not available yet, but I did talk to the doctor at the lab this morning and he said Snowie died from Marek's disease. I was assured that all my chickens were vaccinated for Merek's when they were young. Let's hope Brownie doesn't have that.

If you can see a vet, that would always be the best. Many of us have dealt with an unknown reproductive problem that may cause slow, impacted or sour crop. Ascites, a collection of yellow fluid in the abdomen from liver or heart failure, but also seen with reproductive disorders, and can be another reason for an enlarged abdomen. This is an article about sour and impacted crops to learn how to deal with them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for the links, Eggcessive. I do have an appointment to bring Brownie in to see a vet tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, thank you for letting us know about the vet thinking that Snowy had Mareks disease, but I am sorry to hear that. You may want to add a post to your other thread about Snowy when you get the final report. I sure hope that Brownie doesn’t have that. I have had vaccinated chickens, and I have a vaccinated hen who is almost 8 and I am seeing possible symptoms of Mareks. I have never seen any signs in my flock before. Glad that you are able to see a vet. Brownie looks like the Brahma hen I had a few years ago. She was so big, and laid just medium sized eggs. She went to a friend’s farm to live when I had too many.

I checked Brownie's crop this morning and it was not empty and was like a size of a golf ball. I gave her about a tsp of olive oil with a syringe slowly into her lower beak and massage her crop for a few min. I also gave her some clear water. I also noticed this morning some brownish liquid discharge in the crate which was likely coming from her mouth overnight, and for the first time I smelled a bad odor from her mouth. I will try to massage her crop every couple of hours today until it is time to take her to the vet.

Was her full crop puffy like a balloon or doughy or firm? Mineral oil is very good and acts as a lubricant in the digestive tract. I don’t like to give oil straight into the beak, because they can choke on it. Better is to mix in something like a raw or cooked egg, and whip it to mix in, then let them eat it. Many use frozen coconut oil cut into pieces as well. It would be good to use an antifungal such as Medistatin (same a Nystatin) or miconazole (Monistat 7 cream or 1/3 suppository twice a day. Here is a link for Medistatin:
https://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_medistatin.php

https://www.jedds.com/shop/medistatin/

Back
Top Bottom