Foamy eye

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
I have a 9-10 week old Salmon Faverolles pulley with a swollen and foamy eye. I read that MG could be a cause, but she doesn’t have any respiratory symptoms that I can tell. It looks more bruised to me than inflamed, and she is at the bottom of the pecking order. Could this just be from an injury, or is foaming only a sign of MG?
726A0471-613D-422B-B546-9EDCC9E6A2A9.jpeg

If her other eye has bubbles in it, most likely it's MG. Preferred treatment would be Tylan 50 injectable. Keep in mind that MG is contagious, watch for symptoms in other birds.

If it's only one eye with bubbles, it could possibly be due to an injury like you mentioned in which case follow Eggcessive's treatment recommendations.

Thanks for the tips. I will start with antibiotic ointment tomorrow. Here is a more zoomed out picture if that gives anyone a better idea of what’s happening. I checked her crop when I closed them in for the night and it barely had anything in it, which I don’t like, but she did get herself up on the roost, which is new for her (she was just the last one to decide it was a good idea to sleep up high), so I take that to be at least a semi-good sign. 2795864A-55A5-4DAE-959B-1BF8E2FCC13B.jpeg

If her other eye has bubbles in it, most likely it's MG. Preferred treatment would be Tylan 50 injectable. Keep in mind that MG is contagious, watch for symptoms in other birds.

If it's only one eye with bubbles, it could possibly be due to an injury like you mentioned in which case follow Eggcessive's treatment recommendations.

So far it is only the one eye. The other one looks perfectly normal. I did a quick search online for Tylan at one of my local feed stores, and it says it is for cattle and swine only. Is there a version for poulry?

The eye was swollen shut this morning, but still just the one eye. Pictures are after I put antibiotic ointment on it. I took a short video that I’m trying to figure out how to upload a video to make sure I’m not missing something about her breathing.
915464A7-FA18-44F5-8B2C-133BF3A5AB2A.jpeg
F73000CD-EAA2-4F4A-B997-74740520ADC2.jpeg
22978660-B2AE-4275-984F-D7F344F30D58.jpeg

Ok, I figured out how to upload to YouTube. To my ears, she sounds normal, but I’m no expert. I can see she has swelling in her sinuses on the same side. All of my pullets are in the phase where they aren’t quite chirping like peeps anymore, but don’t have an adult click yet either. Here is the video:
Also, ignore my pre-coffee morning hair 😅

Back
Top Bottom