Watery poop and lethargic

The advantage of coconut oil is you can warm it slightly to mix the antibiotic into it, then chill it and then form a ball. It should be about the size of a pea or marble. This creates a "pill" that you can then easily slip into the beak and she will swallow it.

The advantage of coconut oil is you can warm it slightly to mix the antibiotic into it, then chill it and then form a ball. It should be about the size of a pea or marble. This creates a "pill" that you can then easily slip into the beak and she will swallow it.
I got the coconut oil and have been giving the chicken the mixture of Fish-Mox and the oil every evening now for 7 days tomorrow. She really looks a lot better. She is moving around normally, eating and drinking. Her eggs, when she lays are very big and the shells are very thin. Is this possibly being "egg bound"? My chickens started laying eggs a year ago this month. I don't get an egg from each chicken any longer. That seems a bit strange. Any ideas on what else to do for this chicken? I am still concerned about her since her eggs are abnormally large and the shell is so thin. As well, any suggestions about the inconsistent egg laying of my flock? I give them a good laying crumble. They have oyster shell and they get fermented feed in the morning. Water is always available and they get some scratch feed in the evening (a very small amount)

Your chickens may not be getting enough to eat. In place of the scratch in the evening, give them another helping of fermented feed. That may increase the egg laying as well as improve the shells.

I just read this thread. As usual, @azygous, your help is much appreciated. Thank you for enriching the vast store of knowledge here on BYC.

I'm ordering the Aqua Mox. I don't need it at the moment, but I want it on hand should the need arise. Thanks for the link.

Your chickens may not be getting enough to eat. In place of the scratch in the evening, give them another helping of fermented feed. That may increase the egg laying as well as improve the shells.
They have a feeder of laying crumbles with three good openings readily available for them all day and evening long. I bring it inside after they roost for the night If that is the majority of what chickens eat to be good layers, should I put more feeders out for them in different places in their large run? All 6 of my hens are the same age, but I have not gotten 6 eggs everyday consistently all this growing season.

One feeder for six hens provided free choice should be adequate. The most likely explanation for drop off in egg production and quality is simply that the hens are not new layers any longer. Also, as the days decrease in length, there is less light stimulation of the pineal gland so eggs become fewer as fall approaches with the onset of molt.

Back
Top Bottom