Watery stool and now gasping and lethargic

I really dont care for broad spectrum dewormers. I prefer to do fecal floats regularly that way the worms dont get used to the dewormer. Plus broad spectrums dont treat for all kinds of worms
Just trying to rule somethings out. We need to know the cause to treat. Check her temp if you can to rule out infection
Tell the OP how to check her temp and what is should be.

It's good to get a fecal float if you have access to a vet. Not everyone does. The OP de-wormed already, just wanting to clarify what was used. What de-wormers do you use for which types of worms?

Tell the OP how to check her temp and what is should be.

It's good to get a fecal float if you have access to a vet. Not everyone does. The OP de-wormed already, just wanting to clarify what was used. What de-wormers do you use for which types of worms?
Heres an article about dewormers and treatment based on the parasite:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/
In general I inspect my birds regularly for signs of worms and other infestations. I do not recommend deworming unless you know the parasite. If I had to guess the OP used fenbendazole (sp?) Which is a common broad spectrum dewormer. It treats 4 types of worms but not all.

When's the last time she laid an egg? Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

What did you de-worm with? (product and dose)

If the crop is full and squishy this morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then it would be good to address that. The info in the article linked will get you started.
Do keep in mind that most crop issues are a symptom of an underlying condition - a few common conditions are reproductive disorders, infection, worms and coccidiosis.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Last night was the first night she has not eaten, she has been drinking more water than usual.
I treated the flock with fenbenazole 3cc per gallon. I checked her abdomen and it does not appear swollen or distended. She does not appear to be egg bound. A few days ago I was concerned for that, inspected her vent, did a epsom salt soak, tried a bit of extra calcium, and lubed the vent. It has been several days since she laid an egg.
I’m at a loss here so any guidance is appreciated.

As far as the vet goes, I live in a semi-rural area but the last 2 times I took a hen in they basically suggested that it’s a 3 $ animal, so I’m inclined to perform care at home.

Pics of the stool would be helpful. What does her crop feel like? Is she eating and/or drinking? Inspect her butt feathers for signs of mites and lice.
I’ll take a pic later. I inspected, she does not appear to have mites, her butt feathers do have some whitish poop but her vent is not impacted or prolapsed

I really dont care for broad spectrum dewormers. I prefer to do fecal floats regularly that way the worms dont get used to the dewormer. Plus broad spectrums dont treat for all kinds of worms
Where would one buy a fecal floats? My vet here is not really poultry friendly. They prefer livestock and pets.

Last night was the first night she has not eaten, she has been drinking more water than usual.
I treated the flock with fenbenazole 3cc per gallon. I checked her abdomen and it does not appear swollen or distended. She does not appear to be egg bound. A few days ago I was concerned for that, inspected her vent, did a epsom salt soak, tried a bit of extra calcium, and lubed the vent. It has been several days since she laid an egg.
I’m at a loss here so any guidance is appreciated.

As far as the vet goes, I live in a semi-rural area but the last 2 times I took a hen in they basically suggested that it’s a 3 $ animal, so I’m inclined to perform care at home.
Have you repeated the de-worming? Fenbendazole (safeguard) doesn't mix well with water and it's dependent on the birds actually drinking enough for it to be effective. Fenbendazole is dosed by weight, so it's better/more effective to treat each bird. Dose is .23 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row - this will treat most worms that poultry have, except for tapeworms. To treat roundworms only, you can treat once, then repeat in 10 days.

If she's not laid an egg in several days, she may have laid internally or is suffering from one of many common reproductive issues. Drinking more water than normal and crop that is not emptying. I would still treat the crop symptoms. Sometimes a bird has other things going on that makes the crop slow. Often all you can do is offer supportive care - treat the symptoms. If she has fluid in the abdomen, draining can sometimes give some relief. An antibiotic may help with infection.
It really stinks when they are not doing well.
Heres an article about dewormers and treatment based on the parasite:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/
In general I inspect my birds regularly for signs of worms and other infestations. I do not recommend deworming unless you know the parasite. If I had to guess the OP used fenbendazole (sp?) Which is a common broad spectrum dewormer. It treats 4 types of worms but not all.

Thanks for the article, I've read it numerous times. Do you do your own fecal floats or take samples to your vet? I had just wondered what de-wormer you use since you mentioned you didn't care for broad spectrum de-wormers, so what would you use instead of something like Fenbendazole or Albendazole? I like to know what others use and learn something!

Poultry worms sort of fall into 3 categories - Roundworms (nematodes) which include Gizzard, Gapeworm, Capillary, Cecal, Threadworm, Pin Worm, Hairworm, etc. these can be treated with Benzimidazoles which are broad spectrum de-wormers like Fenbendazole (Safeguard) and Valbazen (Albendazole) for example.

Tapeworms and Flukes are the other 2 categories. Of course, a different treatment method/anthelmintic may be needed for these.

Where would one buy a fecal floats? My vet here is not really poultry friendly. They prefer livestock and pets.
You will need a microscope but it doesnt need to be super high powered. I use a childs microscope. Fecal float solution can be bought or made. You can find it online. As for her not eating but drinking lots of water and a full crop id think impacted crop or something digestive. In the interim until you can do a float id give .5 cc twice daily of liquid parrafin (mineral oil US equivalent)

Back
Top Bottom