Watery stool and now gasping and lethargic

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is most likely that you are doing nothing wrong and have simply had some bad luck. Did all your chickens come from the same source and did your neighbor get them from a different source. Yours may have had some sort of genetic issue that left them susceptable to illness.
Two came from a feed store as chicks, two came as approx year old hens from a farm that was being sold.
I am not sure where the neighbors got theirs.

Last edited:
Two came from a feed store as chicks, two came as approx year old hens from a farm that was being sold.
I am not sure where the neighbors got theirs.
So sorry for your loss. A necropsy could determine the cause but I understand if you're too upset. One of my favorites died rather suddenly but my fiancee buried her before I got home. I cried for a week over her. Its hard not to get attached

Would sour crop kill that quickly? I’m thinking she had an underlying condition. I keep my flock fed with a quality feed, fresh water, clean frequently and I’ve lost 4 in the last year. One was due to visceral gout, upon necropsy it was discovered she only had one kidney, the others were unknown illness.
im bummed, my neighbor rarely cleans the coop, their water is frequently unclean and they have lost zero.
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.
I'm sorry that she died.

Consider getting a necropsy or do one yourself. Take some photos and we may be able to help you see something obvious.
You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

What do you feed? What type of treats and how much?

Right now I can’t afford another necropsy. I feed a flock raiser because I have roosters. A bit of scratch grains. They have a feeder with oyster shells and they occasionally get kale or spinach. I stopped feeding meal worms after the visceral gout. As far as doing the necropsy myself I’m not sure I’m up for that. I’d have to study poultry anatomy to even know what I was looking at. My chickens are not pets but they are not exactly livestock either.

So sorry for your loss. A necropsy could determine the cause but I understand if you're too upset. One of my favorites died rather suddenly but my fiancee buried her before I got home. I cried for a week over her. Its hard not to get attached
I hear ya, you try not to get attached. This was I called my “garden helper chicken”. Every time I was digging in my garden she was there. Regardless of a pick axe or shovel being used, she was on patrol for insects.

Right now I can’t afford another necropsy. I feed a flock raiser because I have roosters. A bit of scratch grains. They have a feeder with oyster shells and they occasionally get kale or spinach. I stopped feeding meal worms after the visceral gout. As far as doing the necropsy myself I’m not sure I’m up for that. I’d have to study poultry anatomy to even know what I was looking at. My chickens are not pets but they are not exactly livestock either.
Necropsy can be expensive.

I do a simple one on my own, taking a look at the organs and reproductive system. If need be, the crop.
There's tutorials out there. The video below is pretty good, further in it does have labels on what things are.
If you decide to do one yourself, then take some photos. We might recognize something you never know.
I do understand, mine are Pet Livestock.

Necropsy can be expensive.

I do a simple one on my own, taking a look at the organs and reproductive system. If need be, the crop.
There's tutorials out there. The video below is pretty good, further in it does have labels on what things are.
If you decide to do one yourself, then take some photos. We might recognize something you never know.
I do understand, mine are Pet Livestock.

I may try this! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom