WAY overpriced coop

Is it silly to sell a small coop for $500?

• Yes!

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • yes it is silly

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • banana

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • no

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guessing disgruntled kid.
Nah! Kids don't care...their give-a-damn meter resets pretty quick.

If $500 to buy a coop is too much, imagine the outrage when someone sees prices for materials or (gasp) labor costs to build it.

Honestly, if it's held up for the last 5 years (unknowing how old it was before that) it's probably worth $500. Not sure I'd want to buy the same coop twice though.

Not sure where the 10 year image limit came from for coops. I have one that's held up over a decade with no repairs needed currently.

I'm rather confused by the timeline. Has it been 5 years since learning the price and you're still bitter or 5 years since selling the house and you asked about the coop recently?

You sold a house with a coop and left the coop, and now you want to buy it back? Was the coop part of the original sale or did you have arrangements to pick it up later?

If the coop was left on the property without any agreement to the contrary it's their coop now and has been for the last 5 years. I don't know if the price is good or bad for it, but if you want it, then negotiate a price for it if you think it's too high.

If I ever sell my house and the buyer wants the coop, I would be fine adding the cost of it (depreciated) to the price of the house. Otherwise I plan on taking it.
In my parts, to build a coop I had to get a building permit (similar to a shed). I don't think I could legally take something that is a permitted part of the property WITHOUT it being agreed upon in the terms of sale.

In my parts, to build a coop I had to get a building permit (similar to a shed). I don't think I could legally take something that is a permitted part of the property WITHOUT it being agreed upon in the terms of sale.

In my area, any structure under 200 sq ft without power/water does not need permits. Also my coop is built on skids, so it can be moved if the need arises. So yes I would put it in the terms of sale that the coop was not included in the sale of the house, unless the buyers wanted to add it in.

This is a moving out story but it involved us in a way.

There was this lady and her husband who we used to be friends with. She lived in a huge log house about one mile away. Her and her husband were going to buy the house, but they failed to come up with the money for the house, and the owner sold it to someone else and had the lady and her husband moved out. On the way out the lady and the husband wanted money for the propane. The new owners said "No, we own the house and everything, that includes the propane." The moving people threatened to let it evaporate, I don't know if they did or not. It was left on bad terms.
Fast forward 18 years or so, we are friends with the man who owns the log house, and are not friends with the lady and her husband who moved away. The lady who moved away called us out of the blue and wanted us to give out the phone number to the log house owner. She claimed they left on good terms, and the log house owner said they could visit the log house when ever they wanted. (We knew this was not the case since we heard the story from the current owner.) My DH said, "I can check with the owner, and see if he wants us to give out their number." The lady who moved away got all huffy and tried to tell us to never mind. We called the guy who owns the log house, and he said "I am glad you called and asked if they could have my number before giving it out, no, I don't want to talk to them." We called the lady who moved, and told her the log house guy doesn't want them coming by. The lady who moved said, "You should not have called him, now it is awkward for me!" We told her, "He is our friend, and he said he was glad we called him first before giving out his number." We have not heard from her for years now. I don't think we are missing anything.

Back
Top Bottom