Ways to help a stressed dog

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi! I have a chi that has been a little stress out! He lives with two bigger dogs and my house can get a little crazy with the kids! I bought him a thunder vest but he didn’t like that too much! I have some drops that he takes to calm him down and that helps a little but I was wondering if there was anything else I can do to help him with some of the stressful days!? What do y’all do?

New dog to the household?
Give him a safe place to retreat to?
Tell everyone to calm the heck down?
Haha that’s what I do! I try and keep him in a calm room but he always wants to be in the main one! He is not Nee I have had him his whole life, and he is almost 6 years now! I was just wanting to find some ways to keep him none stressed out sometimes especially during thunderstorms!

For fireworks and stuff I've been using CBD oil or hemp treats. He'll still be nervous but it can help take the edge off, downside is you need to have a heads up on when you'll need it (so if there's thunderstorms in the forecast, for example, you want to dose 30-60 min in advance).

My Sheltie used to have anxiety attacks with thunderstorms. I'd give her a Benadryl and put a tight Tshirt on her, one my Kid had outgrown. Figured it would work like a Thundershirt. After about a year of this, just the shirt was enough. Now she doesn't need that either. You might also try a drop of essential lavender oil just under each ear, it's very soothing, and put him in a crate with a towel over it in a quiet room. I second the idea of soothing music also. Dens feel very safe and comforting in times of stress. Maybe include a towel or a favorite stuffed animal and a chew toy for distraction.

Back
Top Bottom