Wayward chicks

ALEFF

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
Hello.
We relocated to a new farm last fall and our free ranging flock has adjusted well and returns to the coop each night. But no one had gone broody.

Or so we thought. 7 weeks ago, a hen hatched a clutch of eggs in the front garden. They have been ranging everywhere, except anywhere near the coop. I had started feeding them to get them accustomed to me, which would then bring the other hens running if they saw me. Mother hen was very protective and would take the chicks and hide.

Now they are fully feathered, and she has moved on. Leaving us with 7 chicks who run away from the flock, and now that the mother is not with them, won't approach me when I feed them - before they were coming right up to my feet.

How do I get them to join the flock? Or go to the coop?

I'd hate to lose them after mother hen did such a good job keeping them safe while roaming the farm.

Last edited:
welcome to BYC! I don't know what you should do, I would have thought mama hen would bring them in. Hopefully, other members w more experience will chime in.
What breed are they? Some are very good at being free rangers and evading predators, and yours seem to be, considering that she hatched out a brood and they are still alive! If you don't know, how about a pic?

Our rooster is a cross, so they're mutts. I can't wait to see what the golden one looks like when it's bigger.

Attachments

• 20170711_081214.jpg
    20170711_081214.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 21
I would have thought mama hen would bring them in.
I would think so too.

Welcome to BYC @ALEFF .
Did the mama ever bring them to the coop?
Is there plenty of space in coop for all the birds?
Best bet would be to prepare an enclosure in the coop and put them there after dark when you can grab them from where they sleep/roost.

They're calling someplace home at night. Find out where it is. A couple hours after sundown use a red flashlight and carefully and quietly lift them off their roost and confine them. They'll eventually get over their shyness once they associate you with food.

Thank you for these suggestions. I went out last night, only to discover they are not roosting where they did when they were with mother hen.

I'll start hunting around and find their roosting spot. I appreciate the red light suggestion.

Mother hen never took the chicks to the coop that I saw. The coop is huge, with very few chickens currently because we recently culled the old, non layers. Really need this fresh infusion of potential laying hens! (But they're probably all roosters.)

Back
Top Bottom