We had a surprise cria! (picts)

Absolutely adorable and how exciting to find such a surprise
smile.png

congrats! we had a semi-surprise alpaca cria last week, WAY early, she is at OSU but coming home today.
smile.png

MissPrissy asked:
Do you have to sheer them? Can their fibers be used to spin for yarn or felting etc?

I normally shear mine every year so they go through the hot summers with no heavy coat. This year the person that does my shearing got injured and couldn't do it. I'm hoping to buy my own shears but they are very expensive.

Llamas can be used for packing, guarding or their fiber. They are generally bred specifically for the specific purpose. You can have a guard llama that has good fiber and use it. But, you cannot have a good fiber llama and use it for packing ... you want a very light fleece on your packers (unlike, I might add the momma to this new baby). Not to mention how hard a pack is on the fleece. So, I'm breeding for packers, not fleece. Thus I don't keep my fleece for use to spin, etc.

Although I may go in that direction someday since I have a couple of girls who actually have pretty good fleece. I'm just not ready to that it this point in time.​

Now that is the kind of suprise I like! She's adorable! And I really like the black and white one in the first pic, checking out the baby, she looks so soft!

The shearing is the only thing that has held me off on the idea of owning a llama!

Quote:
Considering that most large llama/alpaca farms pray for girls and hope for at least a 50/50 boy - girl ratio each year; I've certainly got that beat. I'm 100% girls.

THat the cutest thing i have seen today!!
How come when we want girls(pullets) we end up with boys(roos) and when we want boys(roos) we get all girls(pullets)? I dont get it
idunno.gif

Oh, I am so jealous! It has been 3 years since i have had a cria. She is a cutie.
big_smile.png
So funny, you are like me.....you like the girls OK, but the boys is what we want. LOL. I stopped breeding, and got into rescue. much more rewarding for me. Except for times like this, when I see a cute baby pronging around. Congrats, I am sure the other one is not far behind.

Back
Top Bottom