We had a visitor to our place PIC

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by River Lizard, Aug 6, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Beautiful snake, I was asked today if I wanted a 6 foot long python of some sort a coworker needs to find a home for. I was so happy Steven is in basic training lol. It was so easy to say no...

2. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    He looks a lot longer than 5' [​IMG]

3. River Lizard

River Lizard Songster

May 29, 2009
    Varina, VA
    Quote:That's typical....people get pythons then realize just how big and strong they get and realize the risk that goes along with them. Many owners try to get rid of the snake once it reaches a certain size. I've seen it too many times. [​IMG]

Knew someone local that had a alligator, thought it was cool to own one, until one day while giving it a bath (the alligator was about 4 foot long) the owner just about had her face taken off when the alligator shot out of the tub with mouth open heading for her face. Needless to say, it was an eye-opener for her and she contacted a friend of mine to get rid of it asap.

You meet all kinds of people in the reptile world.....some freakier than others! [​IMG] Knew a guy on the border of VA and NC that lived out in the sticks in a trailer. This guy had 5 of the top 10 deadliest snakes in his trailer. I asked him what would happen if he got bit by one of those, his response " No doubt I wouldn't be around any more, since it would take too long to get anti-venom where I live.
    OK.....I like snakes, not interested in really keeping them but I like them none the same, BUT there's no way I'd be living where this guy is and even think about keeping the kind of snakes he had.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. River Lizard

River Lizard Songster

May 29, 2009
    Varina, VA
    Quote:Normally Rat snakes don't get any larger than about 6 foot, it's rare to find them any larger than that. This guy was definitely skinny for his length but I wouldn't say he was more than 5 feet long.
    I wanted to hold him but I didn't want to cause him to leave the area by me handling him. I'm hoping he'll stay around and clean up any unwanted animals around my property.

Found a Corn snake about 3 weeks ago...beautiful snake and I should have taken a few photos of him too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: