We have a problem, the neighbors got a new dog. Update: now kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I love this answer. "Good fences make good neighbors" should be tattooed on every chicken owner's forehead. I would bet those roosters don't stop at the road and never venture into the neighbor's yard, so you can't really expect kids to stay on their side of the road either.

There was a previous mention of liability if the kids get hurt, and that should not be ignored. "Attractive nuisance" doctrine says it is the landowner's fault if the kids get hurt because they followed something attractive onto the property and the property owner could have prevented it. Legally, no court is going to care if you say "The parents should have done a better job corralling the kids" - the legal fact is that the landowner is responsible. If the injury is "foreseeable" (and lots of stuff on that property fall into that category, from the cam footage) and you know the kids are likely to trespass (also obvious here) the property owner is in a huge mess of trouble. Put up a fence, get the chickens inside something secure, and put up clear signs. Those are the landowner's responsibility, NOT the kids' parents' responsibility.

I guess I should reiterate I AM NOT THE PROPERTY OWNER. My father in law has been to court about the condition of the property, that is none of my business really. It is HIS liability, not mine. Should any of you want to volunteer to pay for 2acres of fencing, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that it's not my property and I may be moving in less than a year, I'll pm you my paypal account. [please note, I'm being sarcastic]
I put up over 200ft of 5ft fence on MY property when I kept chickens at home, not counting the pre-existing fences. I am all for good fences. Keep your dog inside your fence, and I won't shoot it. I promise.

I am all for good fences. Keep your dog inside your fence, and I won't shoot it. I promise.

Sounds like you got a handle on it to me.​

Tala, yes from your new picture of the dog I can see it doesn't look Basenji at all. I never would have thought it had such a long tail either. In the first picture it looked like a little bit of tail (twisted like a pug dog). This does look like a bigger problem now that I've seen the update.

Quote:
I love this answer. "Good fences make good neighbors" should be tattooed on every chicken owner's forehead. I would bet those roosters don't stop at the road and never venture into the neighbor's yard, so you can't really expect kids to stay on their side of the road either.

There was a previous mention of liability if the kids get hurt, and that should not be ignored. "Attractive nuisance" doctrine says it is the landowner's fault if the kids get hurt because they followed something attractive onto the property and the property owner could have prevented it. Legally, no court is going to care if you say "The parents should have done a better job corralling the kids" - the legal fact is that the landowner is responsible. If the injury is "foreseeable" (and lots of stuff on that property fall into that category, from the cam footage) and you know the kids are likely to trespass (also obvious here) the property owner is in a huge mess of trouble. Put up a fence, get the chickens inside something secure, and put up clear signs. Those are the landowner's responsibility, NOT the kids' parents' responsibility.

I guess I should reiterate I AM NOT THE PROPERTY OWNER. My father in law has been to court about the condition of the property, that is none of my business really. It is HIS liability, not mine. Should any of you want to volunteer to pay for 2acres of fencing, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that it's not my property and I may be moving in less than a year, I'll pm you my paypal account. [please note, I'm being sarcastic]
I put up over 200ft of 5ft fence on MY property when I kept chickens at home, not counting the pre-existing fences. I am all for good fences. Keep your dog inside your fence, and I won't shoot it. I promise.

Just being honest here,so don't take it the wrong way. Maybe the problem would be resolved by either getting rid of the roosters, or getting a place where you can have chickens and make the coop/run to accomodate yours and the chickens needs. I may be alone here, but although I care about my flock, I view them as a resource for eggs, not pets. I can easily part with them if I have to. I could always get more chickens when I got back to the point I could take care of them at home. JMO

Quote:
Sounds like you got a handle on it to me.

Yup! She does!
smile.png

Quote:

A handful of 'spare roosters' don't need 2 acres. If they're worth shooting a dog over in a residential area, they're probably worth putting together a 10' square pen for.

Shooting the dog instead of just penning your roosters seems a little overboard. There's a difference between 'I will shoot that dog if I have to' and 'I can shoot that dog if I want to.' Why not exhaust all other means before shooting some kids' dog? Even if the kids in question are delinquents.
tongue.png

Quote:
Yes, and if you did you'd go to jail. Connecticut law is very firm on that one. You can't shoot anywhere in a trespasser's direction, cannot try to hurt a trespasser, cannot lay a trap for a trespasser. Must show due care for a trespasser once he or she is known to be on the property (e.g., can't send him away in a direction you know is dangerous, can't force him to leave in a blizzard, etc.).

I know it's in vogue on this board to be very flip about the idea of shooting trespassers, but it's illegal in every state and it's not funny. Joking about deliberately injuring any human is not very good for the soul, either, quite apart from whether or not the deed takes place.

This particular thread is really getting beyond common sense. Why on EARTH would somebody think that unfenced roosters, who are going all over the place without being contained and need $40 worth of wood and wire, are worth shooting a dog in broad daylight in a residential area with kids around? It's one thing if you've got a persistent predator dog who is digging through fencing and is clearly there to kill your livestock. This is a dog who's running around WITH KIDS and who is running after chickens every once in a while. Put a dang fence around the roosters if you don't want to send them to freezer camp. Stop blaming the kids for coming onto a property that looks like an amusement park for country kids; it's obvious that the court doesn't blame them.

I have a similar issue at the Nevada property. My neighbor casually remarked that I shouldn't keep chickens because their dog tended to kill them and had killed some down the road. I suspect that someone might live trap the dog and deliver it to Animal Control in another state. Or possibly the dog will pick a fight with Edgar Rice Burro or another dog hating long ear and be *launched* into another state.

He apparently bought a bag of "chicken feed" to compensate the chicken owners; I doubt it consisted of Layer Pellets or anything other than scratch or generic "poultry feed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom