We have ducklings!

DuckLady

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Jan 11, 2007
NE Washington State
A few weeks ago, my domestic mallard,. Fudgie, disappeared. I thought she either flew off or was gotten by something.

A week or so ago, I saw her in the yard eating pooping and swimming. By careful surveillance, standing and waiting over an hour in the rain, I found her general location in the neighbors bushes. I sprinkled Cheerios in the area and from under one bush poked a bill and I heard crunching.

I left the eggs, since I didn't want to kill almost fully developed ducklings in the shell. I figured they may not hatch due to the snow, hail, sleet and freezing temps we have had in the last few weeks. I put a barrier around her
nest and my neighbors and I have been on Duck Watch.

Today when I came home from work, there they were, all THIRTEEN of the babies with Mom.
I looked at her nest and all of them hatched, which is amazing, since we have had horrible weather.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duckavenger/

2478430487_b0cf3d2ef5.jpg

They are so cute!! I love the look of baby ducks. Thats so cool that they all hatched. I'm glad you got her back that she was just nesting and not gone. Are you keeping all the babies?

Quote:
Want some? Some get em! (I am serious! I will be meeting Flapper's Mom in Chehalis on the 25th to hand off some ducks. Need drakes? I have a nice Blue Swede and a Pekin boy who need a home!)

lol.png

When it rains, it pours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally couldn't stand it and I ordered some ducklings and a few days later I got two phone calls about re-homing ducks. I'm thinking about re-homing 3 adult females, but I don't know if I can do any more right now.

But . . . mallard ducklings . . . you might have me on that one.

I'd probably prefer the pure-bred mallards.

Back
Top Bottom