We have or first chicks!

kdog03

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
First I want to say hello and apologise in advance for the long post. This is my first post here on BYC but really enjoy the site. Here is my situation, my girlfriend (emssparky79, she is new here as well) wanted some chickens. So I built her a coup and we now have our first flock. The flock consist of 6-Buff Brahma, 4-Rhode Island Red, 2- Golden Comets, 2- Barred Rocks, and 2- Silver Laced Wyandotte's. I must say that I think she made good choices in the chicks she has chosen. All of the babies appear to be healthy and doing great. We are raising them outside in the coup. The weather here in NC has been terrible. We have dropped below freezing a few times over the past week. Few nights ago was below 25 and last night was freezing rain. We have 2- 250W heart lamps over the brooding area, which is about a 4 foot by 4 foot area. I went to the coup today and the temp under the lamps was over 120*. I know the chicks will regulate themselves by moving away from the heat of needed. All chicks are doing great. They were completely silent when I got to the door of the coup. Once I opened the door they started chirping. Some were eating, some drinking and the Brahmas were trying to fly around inside the brooding area (They are about a week older than the others). A few were snuggled up in the shavings near the heat lamps. My question is this, is the temp to high? I unplugged one lamp and within mins the temp dropped below 80*. Do you guys think we need both lamps or should we run both lamps now and in a day or so as the air temps outside increase maybe drop back to one? I'm open to all suggestions and any suggestions or advice on raising these little guys. Thank you.

This is the brooder area

da5u6unu.jpg

Some pics of the chicks

have9yre.jpg
ju9asy3e.jpg

9ebeva3u.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If, they're not huddled and chirping, they're ok. They do a pretty good job of regulating their temperatures and I usually don't worry about them getting too cold. Its easier to get them too warm, when they can't get away from the heat lamp. As long as there is no draft, I've had no problems raising them in the coop, with temps in the teens. Like you, I run two 250w heat bulbs. Mostly, in case one burns out during the night. One is on all the time, the other is on a thermostat, which kicks in below a set temp, depending on how old the chicks are and heat requirements. I raise the height of the lamps, to figure out what's most comfortable for them.

Thank you azelgin. They have plenty of room to get out of the heat, so them being able to regulate themselves isn't a problem. Tonight we hand fed them some treats and they were very lively and running around having a blast. Thank you for the response.

Draft is basically keeping the wind off of them. You want then to be able to get in an area where when the child wind is blowing it isn't blowing directly on them. If you have a bad draft it is like you standing outside with the wind blowing on you. The chill from the wind is supposed to be hard on the birds.

Draft is basically keeping the wind off of them. You want them to be able to get in an area where when the cold wind is blowing it isn't blowing directly on them. If you have a bad draft it is like you standing outside with the wind blowing on you. The chill from the wind is much colder than the air around you, this is supposed to be hard on the birds.

Draft is basically keeping the wind off of them. You want then to be able to get in an area where when the child wind is blowing it isn't blowing directly on them. If you have a bad draft it is like you standing outside with the wind blowing on you. The chill from the wind is supposed to be hard on the birds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/quote]

Draft is basically keeping the wind off of them. You want them to be able to get in an area where when the cold wind is blowing it isn't blowing directly on them. If you have a bad draft it is like you standing outside with the wind blowing on you. The chill from the wind is much colder than the air around you, this is supposed to be hard on the birds.

My apologies. I'm not sure why tapatalk quoted and reposted that last comment so many times. Mods feel free to delete them if necessary

Back
Top Bottom