We have our chicks!

Mamasan7

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
K's Back 40
skateparkchicks286.jpg

The chickies are here!
We got 1 black sex-link, 2 Bard Rocks, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Buff Orpington, and they are so cute!
They took to the water really fast, I thought it would take them awhile, but they were pretty thrirsty it seems.
Noisey little buggers though, peep, peep, PEEP!

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
Yes, yes--don't put chicks on newspaper, or, shred it first. As said above, they can get spraddle leg.

Yup, cute little things.

Catherine

Mamasan7

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
K's Back 40
Ah! Ok, I will shred the newspaper first, I didn't know about that. I have a thin layer of wood shavings in there now, is that enough or will it still be as slippery?

We are having a bit of a problem with one of the Red's pecking the other chicks in the eyes, is that normal or does that mean it's an aggresive chicken? I would exchange it, if it is.

Last edited:

ZaneyMama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Mamasan, My chicks pecked each other's eyes occasionally at first, before they figured out that not everything small and round is food. LOL. If she's actually hurting the other chicks, I would worry!

RM44

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Woodstock, Georgia
I love the white "cotton ball" butts! I had Black Australorps and Dominiques, both with the white cotton ball butts. Enjoy them 'cause they go away fast!

Top Bottom