We lost another chicken UPDATE: EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL

Quote:
I got her nmber from somebody already that worked with her and she has not called me back for a couple weeks. That is who I was talikng about that had not called me back.

Last edited:
Jennifer called us back with in 24 hours. Maybe try again. or call the lab in Live Oak and ask the Dr. there to have her call you. Live Oak lab # 386-330-5700

We are all here for you Maxx.
hugs.gif

Things are looking up a bit but I think we will be loosing one of our girls soon. Pebbles (RIR) is closing er eyes a lot more, her comb is really pale comb and wattle. She acts fine but I think time is running out for her.

why don't you try a dab of ivermectin on a piece of bread??? If you don't want to invest in the iver pour on just get a generic ivermectin horse wormer and give her a tiny amount. if it is gape worm that will fix it, if it is roundworms that will end the problem also.

Maxx and all...when you call the state vet's office, or the state veterinary pathology laboratory for help, DON'T BE PATIENT--and don't be a pest. Be polite, very persistent, and the squeaky, personable wheel WILL get greased quicker.

When you are losing stock, they may be your only option. That's their JOB, that's what they are paid for, and you have the right to a timely response.

When I call them, I ask when they can call me back--and what time I should call again if I don't get a call back. That way, if they forget, or the message gets lost, I can still try again to make contact with them without just calling thirty times a day.

But when you are losing animals and NEED their help, don't mess around. Ask for the veterinarian on duty. If the state vet is out, ask who covers for them while they are out of the office and talk to them. ALWAYS BE POLITE. Persistent, yes. Pestiferous, no.

To store a dead animal:
As soon as possible after death, chill but DO NOT FREEZE. Bag the bird and immerse in a bucket of ice water (not just cool or cold water--ICE WATER). Don't let the bird get wet; that's why the bag.

Once the bird is thoroughly cooled, add another, dry, bag and seal. Place in the refrigerator and ship soonest.

When shipping, use ice packs in ziploc baggies around the bagged, cooled carcass and line the box with yet another heavy duty plastic bag to prevent leaks. NEVER put paperwork inside the box with the ice and bird!! (Wet paperwork is about as readable as the newspaper that went through Katrina.) Tape a manila envelope to the OUTSIDE of the box with all the paperwork, and tape the heck out of the box, making sure to seal all edges and corners.

Carriers hate wet boxes and wet boxes can be disease vectors, so the lab hates them too. If you can find one, use a foam ice chest inside a cardboard box.

Good luck!

PA

Back
Top Bottom