We lost our first girl today.

Taote

Songster
Apr 22, 2017
Kentucky
We are here most of the time and our dogs are outside a lot, so we've been fortunate not to have lost any of our free range chickens until today.

It's cold and rainy, so we were all in the house and John had already done a chicken check earlier. We heard a huge commotion - so much more than usual, so we let the dogs out and they chased three dogs off of the property, but one of the Australorps was ripped open and we had to end her suffering.

My instinct (besides shooting the offenders, and we're pretty sure they are from the pack across the street down the road a bit) is to put all the girls into the enclosed run.

I feel that now those dogs know the girls are here so they'll be back. Even when we all leave (or dogs either come with our get out into the house) the chickens get to free range, and we've consciously accepted the risks (hawk, coyotes, and dogs during daylight hours when they aren't securely in the coop built like a fort).

But my resolve to let them be truly free range is suffering. She wasn't one of my favorites but I'm sad she suffered.

Im thinking we will go and warn the owner of the dogs involved. He takes on all the strays that wander up and feeds them. They've formed a pack of sorts and he needs to know we will shoot them if they are on our property anywhere near our chickens.

I love dogs. I don't want to shoot a dog. If we shoot a dog with a rock salt load would it deter then? Sorry for the long ramble...

So sorry. It's sad that the dog owner isn't responsible for his pack. They were doing what dogs do and you lost for it.
I would try non lethal first but if it comes to protecting your flock you're within you're rights to shoot to kill.

Having had someone threaten to shoot my dog I would be careful in confronting the owner. I honestly did not take it well in the moment but did what I could do avoid that fate for her.

Maybe warn them that a dog of theirs has killed. Make it sound like your concerned for small animals they may have. Then mention that it won't happen at your place again.

My guess is that neither the dogs, nor the guy who keeps them realizes the risk and burden they are placing on you. Guy may or may not care. Dogs don't for sure, but that is not their fault. That is the nature of dogs. For all they know or care, you put them out for their enjoyment. And no, I don't think a dose of rock salt would matter. I'd worry about anyone mean enough to try it. Better use for the rock salt would be on the guy letting them run around, but society frowns on that type of thing these days.

The very best solution for those dealing with neighbors dogs is an electric fence. That changes everything. You do it right and once those dogs get a dose of a really hot fence, they won't come near it. A fence is on guard 24/7, won't kill or do permanent harm anything, yet deters far better than anything else you can come up with.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Fencing, and especially electric fencing would help. My birds also range during the day, but in a large fenced pasture. A decent fence can do a lot for deterring most dogs, though they can dig under and some will climb (they won't climb if it's electric). There will always be a risk when ranging them but you can reduce it some.
You do need to speak to the owner, but he may deny responsibility if they are strays he is taking in and feeding. I would also contact animal control and let them know what is going on. A pack of dogs roaming around is an issue and danger for humans as well as animals, and a pack is anything more than one. And they have already killed. Find out what your local ordinances say before shooting, many places it's ok when protecting livestock, but make sure where you are. You could also try trapping them yourself and turning them in to animal control, but they may come out and set traps once you let them know what is going on. Keep your chicken or pictures, as proof of what happened to show them.

I had a very similar experience when I lived in California. These two dogs just kept coming back, so we called the pound and got them taken away. It was sad, however, we lost three chickens to their fun, one of which was my favorite. I hope you wont have anymore problems:)

Rock salt could lead to deterrence, lead means no more chances. We raise organic free range chickens for eggs and we love a lot of those friendly little birds.

We will talk with the dog owner, who has a kind heart and takes them in, but does not manage them. He will get one warning, kindly but firmly delivered.

Thanks for your thoughts and condolences. We contacted both the local law and animal control to get their advice, get the incident on record, and learn the local legal code.

We are in rural KY, and we confirmed that we are within our rights to protect our property by any means necessary. Even if the offending animal is a "hunting" dog (in some areas, hunting dogs have a protected status).

We are still missing 3 girls (one is our favorite girl Rosy (a scrappy rode island red), and one is the mama hen caring for the five chicks she hatched out - the chicks are all ok). We are hoping the missing girls are roosting in a tree and not out there suffering.

Last edited:
Good luck. I know it's heart breaking, and it's unpleasant to have to have this conversation with a neighbor. We try very hard to be good neighbors, but I had to make the shooting threat to one of mine. He kept his dogs fenced after that. I hope you find your other girls. I had a RIR called Rosy once too, she was very sweet.

@Howard, I just read what salt load does to an animal and I probably need to research a better deterrent load such that the on the spot repercussion is memorable, even painful, but doesn't cause enduring pain and suffering.

I wish we could afford to fence our 18 acres but that isn't an option at the moment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom