we made suet blocks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, Dec 30, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i was watching everyone talking about buying and making suet blocks, so today i asked the butcher while i was grocery shopping if he had any leftover fat. he gave me about 2 lbs of pork fat.. we ran it through the meat grinder then took about 1 cup and mixed it with wild bird seed, scratch, molasses, black oil sunflower seeds and put it into a quart size zip lock and froze it.. we ended up with about 10 of them .. will take one out tonight to see how they like it..

[​IMG]

i guess pork fat rules

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. DeGriz

DeGriz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    Are those hens wearing coats?

And my wife says ours are pampered [​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I Think they Like it! I made some today with peanut butter. We had snow so I just used what i had available. I like your recipe so i will try that.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:chicken saddles, if they are mounted by the roo a lot they get feather loss on thier backs. Tons of places have them, I have never seen one in person and I can't imagine how to put one on!

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    [​IMG] Great Job! I make our girls blocks often. They get 2 or 3 a week between everyone in the winter. Crazy to see how much they love them isnt it. And my son loved your candy cane saddle also [​IMG]

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we made the saddles.. they are snapped under the wing with an elastic band.....it runs from the neck under the wing and snaps on to the lower side...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by