Weak and sick duckling

CannysChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
Northern Colorado
I have a two week old Cayuga duckling. Earlier yesterday afternoon I noticed she was acting kinda weird; not walking as much, laying down a lot, not fast to react, ect. However, she was moving around just fine with my other two ducks (1 1/2 month old Black Runner & 3 week old Blue Runner). I usually let them roam the backyard during the day while it's sunny and warm, and then bring them in for the night. When I was bringing the Cayuga duckling in she was acting weak and not squirming in my hands as much as she usually does. I put her and the other two ducks in their large dog kennel, made sure their food and water dishes were clean and filled, then went to bed. I was woken up about an hour ago by my black runner who was absolutely screaming (usually meaning they were out of food or water), I went out to check on them and their food and water was fine, but my little Cayuga duckling was laying with her head down and not moving at all once she saw me. I immediately realized something was definitely up. I picked her up and she was almost completely limp. I put her in a separate container, a small plastic tub, with a heat lamp, sugar water and a bit of food. (The food is not medicated. They also live with three chicks.) As the hour has went by she has progressively gotten worse. Now she's completely limp, drooling, breathing hard, has watery eyes and a runny nose. She is also flopping on her back and flailing around as if she has a vitamin deficiency, I do not have electrolyte and probiotic water at this time. I'm hoping if she makes it through the night that I'll be able to get some in her system. But she's not drinking or eating at this time. I'm really worried because I don't want to lose her. Does anyone know of a illness or a diesease she might have? Or what might have caused this? What more can I do to help her? And if she pulls through, what can I do to prevent something like this happening again? I really need some help here. I can't really afford taking her to the vet but would that be a good option?

I'm so sorry for your poor baby. I just went back and re-read through the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks chapter on health but it didn't help me try to help you. Could she have gotten into something poisonous? Do you have molasses on hand? It said 1 pint of molasses per 5 gallons of water. It can flush out toxins. But if she won't drink, I don't know what you can do. I'm sorry I am not more help. I don't even know who to tag so your post gets found by someone who is more help! I would maybe keep the other two confined to a part of the backyard that you know for sure has nothing poisonous or toxic that they can reach. If she makes it, you could get some nutridrench, it goes in the water or you can give it directly to the bird and hopefully she would swallow. Get the electrolytes too.

I'm so sorry for your poor baby. I just went back and re-read through the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks chapter on health but it didn't help me try to help you. Could she have gotten into something poisonous? Do you have molasses on hand? It said 1 pint of molasses per 5 gallons of water. It can flush out toxins. But if she won't drink, I don't know what you can do. I'm sorry I am not more help. I don't even know who to tag so your post gets found by someone who is more help! I would maybe keep the other two confined to a part of the backyard that you know for sure has nothing poisonous or toxic that they can reach. If she makes it, you could get some nutridrench, it goes in the water or you can give it directly to the bird and hopefully she would swallow. Get the electrolytes too.

I originally thought that she might have gotten into something poisonous but I have no idea what it could be. We don't use fertilizer and we don't have dont have any bug or rat poison. There's s a couple weeds in the yard, could that have done it?

Maybe, it says leguminous plants and their seeds, rhubarb, tobacco leaves, foxglove, potato vine or green potatoes, cottonseed meal(this can be in the feed), castor bean, eggplant leaves, probably leaves of anything in the nightshade family actually. There's lots more than this, these are just more common... do you have close neighbors who might spray? Or spray for bugs? How about biting insects, black flies, or mosquitoes can infect birds with whatever they might be carrying. I'm trying to "think out loud" so forgive my rambling

Maybe, it says leguminous plants and their seeds, rhubarb, tobacco leaves, foxglove, potato vine or green potatoes, cottonseed meal(this can be in the feed), castor bean, eggplant leaves, probably leaves of anything in the nightshade family actually. There's lots more than this, these are just more common... do you have close neighbors who might spray? Or spray for bugs? How about biting insects, black flies, or mosquitoes can infect birds with whatever they might be carrying. I'm trying to "think out loud" so forgive my rambling

We don't have any of those growing in our backyard, and I'm pretty sure our neighbors don't use any bug sprays. We do have flies and mosquitos but the mosquitos only come out at night. I don't know what is wrong with her but now she's trying to be more active but it very shaky and flops around on her back, much like a vitamin deficiency. I'm very confused because she seemed so sick a few hours ago. Maybe she still is, I don't know.

The nutridrench could help with a deficiency, its liquid with a dropper so you can give it right to her and then keep it in her water for up to a week. They should have it at the feed store, Tractor Supply, anywhere like that. Otherwise if you could even find a vet who knows much about birds, it would be expensive but they would know best. Looks like someone tagged a duck person for you, hopefully they will be on soon and have some insight. I would try getting the sugar water into her until you can get the supplements, she needs any strength she can get.

The nutridrench could help with a deficiency, its liquid with a dropper so you can give it right to her and then keep it in her water for up to a week. They should have it at the feed store, Tractor Supply, anywhere like that. Otherwise if you could even find a vet who knows much about birds, it would be expensive but they would know best. Looks like someone tagged a duck person for you, hopefully they will be on soon and have some insight. I would try getting the sugar water into her until you can get the supplements, she needs any strength she can get.

Thank you for the help but she has passed away.

Back
Top Bottom