1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak Chicks...Speckled sussex*2 died*Update on Survivor

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Big Red's Mom, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I just picked up my 12 chicks from the local co-op. [​IMG] They order from Ideal. I got 3 Black Aust. 3 silver laced wynd. 3 EEs 3 speckled sussex.
    The speckled sussex are small and are not sure on their feet. One is very weak. It will drink and kinda eats. I have them in with the rest for warmth. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to help them get better? I really do not want to lose them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Sugar water or vitamin water is and idea. Make sure they are warm. I would separate them from the group if you can. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Ummm...WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??? [​IMG]

4. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I have been to busy trying to watch them..I guess I do need to take some pictures....[​IMG]
    I will do that now....

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Please post pics - I have perfectly fine and cute peeps of my own I could be watching (and do, often!), but I want to see yours!! Seriously, good luck getting the little ones healthy - I second the idea of separating the weaker ones. The others don't seem to realize how rude it is to step all over everyone else...

6. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Okay I have gotten some pictures.....The three sussex are doing better. Eating and drinking and moving around better now... Still not as good as the others but better.

Easter Eggers

[​IMG]

White Rocks
    [​IMG]

Sussex are the two standing together.
    [​IMG]

Black Aust. Silver Laced Wynd. EEs and Sussex
    [​IMG]

I am glad I talked the lady at the co op into letting me take her home...Maybe she will make it with alittle TLC.

7. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Well this morning the weak chicks took a turn for the worse...They had been doing better....Late this afternoon I found one dead and the other laying face down. I held her for about an hour before she passed. I had gotten three speckled sussex and I have one left...It looks great...Small but great....Maybe she will make it....I sure hope so.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm so sorry for your loss - poor little things. I hope all the others continue to thrive and grow.

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I am so sorry about your little sussex's [​IMG]
    I have one little sussex that is 4 days behind the other chicks, and she seems so small, but she is a little trooper--has to keep up with the others! I love her already. Please keep us posted on your last little one.

10. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Awww. So sorry to hear about your chickies.

Great pictures! How did you take them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by