Weak hen

gossamer

Chirping
13 Years
Jan 14, 2010
hartland
Hi there. I've had a sick hen for a couple of weeks. The rest of the hens are fine. She started with just laying in the coop. I separated her and then she started with some mild respiratory wheezing. A vet was helping me and we did not do tests but we tried treatment with Terramycin for 2 weeks and then Sulfa x 3 days added to her water. Tested her droppings--no parasites.
She has continued to be very weak. This is her only symptom. She will stand but then drop her feathers and slowly help herself down to sit again. I am at a loss as to what else to do for her.
Open to ideas.
Thank you

Sorry about your sick hen. How old is she, and has she laid eggs recently? Has she lost weight in her breast, and does her lower belly between her legs seem enlarged, spongy, or tight? How does her crop feel—empty, full, puffy, doughy, or hard? Have you checked for lice and mites on her skin? Have you seen any other signs of a respiratory infection, such as watery/bubbly eye, sneeze or cough?

Sorry about your sick hen. How old is she, and has she laid eggs recently? Has she lost weight in her breast, and does her lower belly between her legs seem enlarged, spongy, or tight? How does her crop feel—empty, full, puffy, doughy, or hard? Have you checked for lice and mites on her skin? Have you seen any other signs of a respiratory infection, such as watery/bubbly eye, sneeze or cough?
Hello! She is 3 yo. Abdomen feels fine. No external parasites. No cough sneeze, or discharge. Crop feels normal. Slightly full and can be compressed easily. Honestly no other symptoms other than weakness. She will eat when made easy for her. She laid an egg the day prior to me finding her on the bottom on the coop. I palpated for an egg impaction and no go. I do feel she has lost a tad bit of weight. Her keel is a tad more palpable than normal.
Jessica

Hens over 2 can develop reproductive problems with infection or salpingitis, which can make them sluggish and feel poorly. Cancer is another that is common. I would feel of her crop first thing at daylight before she has eaten, when her crop should feel empty and flat. If it is not, then she may have a crop disorder. Smell her breathe as well for a sour or foul odor. You might want to give her some poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days to see if that helps.
1584914078599.jpeg

Thank you! I forgot to tell you that I did add electrolytes and vitamins to her water for a couple days after done with antibiotics and didn't notice a change. I checked on her again tonight and she hadn't moved much and her crop was empty. She readily took fruit from my hand. I placed her closer to food and water. Thanks again! Jessica

I would try some wet chicken feed, canned tuna or cat food, anything to get her eating. Hold a small bowl up to her beak. Hopefully, she will start eating and feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom