Weasels during the daytime?

yes,they will hunt during the day.I've seen them hit on rabbits and heard the rabbits squeal,that's what got my attention.Usually they will stay in one area til most of the food source is depleated.I think mice are one of their favorite snacks.I know they like fresh bloody meat(good bait).a wooden box alittle bigger than a shoe box with a 1 1/2" hole at each end and a couple no.1 victors work well.
I'd even get a local trapper to set up by you to get rid of them during the season.
They are probably the hardest thing to keep out of a run or coop.
Hope you got a scrappy OEG rooster to help protect your hens.
good luck Will

I don't know much as far as weasels go, but I know we have a fox living right inside our sheep pasture. Can see the bugger from the house. From there he looks huge. We have covered his/her holes many times, even pee'd on, in and around the holes. But each day it's back. We haven't gotten the trap out yet.
fl.gif
we haven't lost any birds yet when out free ranging
fl.gif

But I have seen this fox during the day.
I have seen fishers, woodchucks, badger, bears, cyotes, even a wolf during the day. ALL ON OUR PROPERTY TOO!!!!! not all at the same time though thank goodness.....

The house up the road actually has 2 videos one shows a bear taking a dear down right on the corner of our property. The other is a wolf getting a deer also on our property. BOTH VIDEOS WERE TAPED DURING THE DAY!!!! This is what they showed me the first day we moved in here. Even brought there own tv/vcr combo just in case we didn't have our tv here yet...(These were taped about 6 mths to a year before we moved in).
What a "Welcome to the Neighborhood" gift that was. I was scared sh!t less to go outside at night for about a year. Let alone go walking the property during the day by myself....Still gives me the he-be-je-be's!!!!!
Shawna

Sorry...didn't want to hijack the original topic, just wanted to share a story!

Last edited:
I have frequently seen weasels during the day - more often in the winter when they have to work harder to find food.

They hunt day or night, if their nose can get in their bodies can follow ( just like a rat or mouse) they are the most destructive animal and will kill just for the fun of it. I raised Great danes for years and I will never forget what happened to a fellow breeder. She had built a brand new run for her litter of 14, she put those 7 week old babies out and went in to change the laundry around, came out and all her babies were dead or dying. She grabbed them up went to the vets and he couldn't do a thing to save them they were all drained dry or close to it. I never understood the practice of catching a problem animal and relocating it to become someone elses problem but to each their own. The trapping advice you got has been good. I wish you well.

Thanks for all the great replies! I will definitely be sharing this information with my husband. Hopefully, I will be able to convince him of investing a little extra money now instead of replacing a flock later.
fl.gif

Sovia

Back
Top Bottom