Weather question

moselys

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
I have 2 ducklings that are around 4 weeks old now. This is the first time I have gotten ducklings during cold weather. Right now they are in my bathroom but even changing there bedding everyday they are stinking our bathroom to high heavens. The current weather for our area, southern maryland, is low 50's to 30's at night.
My question is will they be okay outside in the shed? I have a heat lamp I can put up for them put there.

At four weeks old, they need to be kept at no lower temperature than around 70 to 75F, and it depends on the duckling as to whether the warmer or lower temperature is best.

Remember, they are building their bodies right now, including their internal organs. For the healthiest ducklings, keeping them at the best temperature is important.

I am going to guess that the water situation could be a little better. What kind of setup do you have for their water? What bedding are you using?

I hope we can steer you to a better water management method, which will make everyone's life better.

I am using pine shavings and a waterer just like I use for our other duc. Usually it is warmer this time of year.
If I put the heat lamp up do you think they will be warm enough? I could put my big duck in with them cause they have bonded well.

The waterer is one that has a jar and a plastic red bottom that curves up. I placed the waterer inside of a larger shallow bowl to help catch some of the "spillage" as they drink. I just can't believe how smelly these two are. I have 1 mallard and 1 Peking. We have had several ducks before but always got them in late spring or summer. So we never kept them in the house before this time.

Have you seen Tweetysvoice splash catcher?

(I had quite a busy afternoon - wish I could have responded sooner, did not mean to leave you hanging)

I think we are asking each other the same question about keeping them warm enough. To me, warm enough is 75F. So, would the heat lamp keep them that warm? Will they be safe? No fire risk? Enough water and food, since at that age they will need it? And if the bedding is wet, will the heat lamp keep them warm enough?

I found that initially, I could get the brooder to 90F. Then I added ducklings and water, and it did not go above 80F, so I got a second lamp. Spilled water keeps the brooder from getting as warm - evaporation and all that.

If it were me, I would make adjustments, since usually smell means the bedding is damp and possibly has scattered crumbles in it. Damp crumbles can make a brooder really whiffy.

I've never heard of that splash catcher, but I'll look for one. The heat lamp will be far enough away from the bedding so no fire risk. Yes the shed is safe. We kept the other ducks in there until they were big enough to join the chickens last summer.

I set up the box outside in the shed with heat lamp on and left it for a few hours and when I went back I don't think it will keep them warm enough at night. So I've decided to just deal with the smell for another week or so till it warms up a little, then I will put them in the shed.

Thanks for offering your help!

It's not easy to come up with the best answer, I appreciate the loving care you are showing your little ones. We had a bunch of ducklings and no aroma - and I changed bedding three to five times a day. I did NOT have the water management thing down at first!
gig.gif

But I caught on after a while. And it was a long, cold, late spring. Eleven ducklings in the house for three months. It was fun, though. Glad I had the time to devote to it.

Take care of yourself, too! Keep us updated!

It's hard when it's cold. I have some just over a week olds in the duck barn BUT they have mama, but they also have lamps... even she is using it... i think she's finding it a tough job to keep the kids warm.

I recall when we first got ducks in May a few years ago, we "assumed" it should be fine... yeah, the weather beyond sucked those darn duck lived in the house for quite awhile. That is why i have learned i don't bring anything in here till June at least.

Unfortunately, mama duck said otherwise but it does help if there is an adult to provide that extra warmth and guidance but i hope to never to do a winter hatch again, massively stressful!

You could try horse wood pellet bedding? it's really nice for odor and wet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom