Weather

xChickrenMamax

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
I have a wooden coop and haven’t had a chance to put the batons up. The windchill is supposed to get in the negatives tonight and this weekend and I’m afraid the draft through the cracks are going to be too much for my girls!
I tried stapling trash bags over the gaps around where they roost temporarily but it doesn’t do much in weather like this
Should I be concerned or am I just over obsessing ?

Attachments

• 639D5F48-E14A-48F9-AE90-D92E54219D0E.jpeg
    639D5F48-E14A-48F9-AE90-D92E54219D0E.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 276498E7-2A11-40D7-8DDE-FFB473A22E93.jpeg
    276498E7-2A11-40D7-8DDE-FFB473A22E93.jpeg
    577.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi :frow

How old are the birds? If they are protected from the wind, fully feathered and in good health, then likely they will be fine, but some photos of your coop may be helpful.
I just added some pictures
They’re about 9-10 months
I could feel the wind blowing in while I was in there checking on them- they’re protected from the direct weather but there is definitely a breeze

I just added some pictures
They’re about 9-10 months
I could feel the wind blowing in while I was in there checking on them- they’re protected from the direct weather but there is definitely a breeze

Nice!
So you're mainly worried about behind them right?
Likely they have enough protection, but if you are really worried, then on the outside staple some temporary plastic behind them (you don't want to lose all your ventilation). Or a small tarp.
I say outside because I assuming that it's smoother and will be easier to put up wind blocking from that side than on the inside around those posts.

Not sure where you are located, but if you have a Harbor Freight(?) they have cheap tarps (LOVE Them) and rolls of plastic. It may not look all that pretty, but it will work.

Back
Top Bottom