Webcam for Eglu Cube Mk1

Treetops

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2018
Hi there,

I would really like to have a wireless webcam installed in my rescued chickens' coop. I paste an image of the inside of the coop (Omlet Eglu Cube Mk1) I have below this email (the backcover is simply removed). As you can see it's plastic and without any would-be 'shelf' sections up high. The webcam cannot merely be placed on the floor as a chicken could easily sit right in front of it and block the view!

The most obvious idea to me seems to be to attach a webcam to some kind of clip-on/velcro kind of strap that can wind around the white partition in the middle, which, as you can see, has a big hold in the middle of it allowing a strap to loop through AND sufficient space on top before the ceiling of the coop for the webcam to fit :)

Do you know of products that could help me with this? Ideally the webcam would be capable of turning 360 degrees or at least 180 degrees so both side of the coop can be seen. Ideally, I would like a portable, wireless and independent-of-the-internet monitor that I could carry around with me displaying the visual and audio output of the webcam. I would ideally like the webcam to last for 15 hours (or near to) before needing to be re-charged.

I'm open to other ideas too.

Many thanks :)

Jenny

Attachments

• 20_cube_interior.jpg
    20_cube_interior.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 112
I've not seen a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) camera that is battery powered but that does not mean there is not one. Usually the Pan and Tilt motors take too much power for battery. I have a D-Link DS5020L Pan and Tilt camera that has Wifi but I found the Wifi to be a hassle so I switched to wired LAN cable. Come to think of it it's probably a 12v camera and the power adapter just supplies 12v or so.

POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras only need a CAT5 or better cable for video and power. All of my LAN cameras are POE except the D-Link one as it was my first camera and I was NewNotKnowHow at that time. For a POE camera to work you either need a POE switch (which is what I use) or a POE injector (and I have some for testing) to supply the power for the camera.

While it might not make a difference in this answer you should put your location in your profile.

JT

Hi JT,
Ah thanks, just this second created my profile, so yes, I'll do that e location :) (I'm in Fife, Scotland).
I hear what you are saying. I guess that is part of the problem with attaching a cam to the white partition i.e. that it would need to turn around or there would need to be two (one for each side of the coop).
I guess I was hoping for something more basic. I've mainly been looking at baby monitors such as this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N75JF6E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1FKFTGZWG005W&psc=1
If there was a way to connect this in one corner, it might not need to be moved around so much and could just stay static and give a general overview. I'm not sure how I could attach this to a corner of the plastic Eglu Cube though :( Perhaps I need to make a little ledge for the cam to sit on using a strong adhesive (like those strong sticking adhesives than hang pictures without hooks).
Jenny :)

Hi Jenny,
I can see the problem trying to use something like the link (also check out all the 1 star reviews). My D-Link fastens down with screws so no problem mounting it to anything that can take a screw.

JT

There must be a way... I'm just not very 'handy'. When I have someone doing some general maintenance work around the house, I'll ask them their opinion :)
Thanks for reading JT :)

I think the biggest problem is going to find a decent reliable wireless camera for a fair price. Read the reviews very carefully before purchasing anything.

A handyman could screw up a small shelf to put one on with some small shelf brackets in a couple of minutes.

JT

Advice heeded :) Thanks.

Even on plastic a handyperson could do this? There is nothing to screw into :/

Just screw into the plastic, your not talking about supporting an anvil just a hectogram of weight. If the plastic is single wall and it does not appear to be then nuts and bolts to hold the shelf brackets otherwise some sheet metal screws will work.

JT

Back
Top Bottom