Week leg problem with my large white wyandotte

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
MI
Maybe someone can help me out here please and maybe not, but it's worth a shot. I am going to try and provide all the necessary info. If I ramble on my bad. I have a large white wyandotte rooster approximately 6 months age, standard bred/show quality. I have owned him for approximately 1 month. He is kept with 2 other white pullets, same age and purchased at the same time. Anyway last Tuesday or Wed I found the rooster unable to stand almost paralysis like in his legs. Other wise healthy. 25 yrs raising birds I have never seen such a thing except for when feeding out broiler chickens. From what little I know of it, immediately I thought it could be Merak’s or possible some poisoning. Other than that I have no idea what it could be. I have found mixed info for possible remedies. Each day since I have been giving him a dissolved dose of a holistic drug called Hypericum (nerve pain) and cod liver oil with a syringe down the birds throat. He crows and gets around by like almost creeping along and flapping his wings but does not stand or walk upright. He appears and looks healthy otherwise. This rooster is too valuable to me to not try and keep around for breeding. I am at my wits end. I have no idea whats wrong or can do to help him out. Would I call a vet for a chicken..for this one maybe. There is one office that I know of that works with exotics and birds. Does anyone have any ideas? What can I do? Thank you for any help.

Back
Top Bottom