Week old chick half the size of the others

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
My week old wyandotte chick is half the size of her flockmates. I don't know if this is relevant, but she is also blind. The others like to steal food from her but I remove them from the brooder every so often so she gets a chance to eat. She seems to be thriving otherwise, she has a big appetite and is eating and drinking. Her feathers are growing in normally, faster even than a couple of her larger siblings. She was also having problems with pasty butt for awhile but it seems to have resolved. She's just tiny. I don't think she's a bantam as she was close in size to them when they were younger. I've heard runts often have heart problems. Does it sound like she'll make it or should I expect her to keel over dead in the near future?

"Runt" is another name for "failure-to-thrive"(FTT). These chicks hatch with underdeveloped organs and possible genetic defects. They lose ground in growth and development due to inefficient absorption of nutrients and calories. They are noticeable by the end of the first week due to their size and often digestive issues. FTT is common.

Sometimes it's treatable. I've had a 50% success rate in getting such a chick to catch up with the others by feeding high protein foods such as finely minced boiled egg and crumbled tofu with Poultry Nutri-drench sprinkled over the top.

"Runt" is another name for "failure-to-thrive"(FTT). These chicks hatch with underdeveloped organs and possible genetic defects. They lose ground in growth and development due to inefficient absorption of nutrients and calories. They are noticeable by the end of the first week due to their size and often digestive issues. FTT is common.

Sometimes it's treatable. I've had a 50% success rate in getting such a chick to catch up with the others by feeding high protein foods such as finely minced boiled egg and crumbled tofu with Poultry Nutri-drench sprinkled over the top.
Oh :(
Thank you for the advice, I'll try that. I'd really hate to lose her. Where can I buy nutri-drench?

Was she okay?
Yes, she's doing well! She's about the same size as the others now
20210801_174105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom