Week Old Chick with Eye Injury

Can your vet run a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis is the issue?

I don't know if I've ever really seen a "timeline" of failure to thrive. There's so many factors, I would say though, the first week, but that's just a guess is you want a time limit.

If you put her near the other chicks, will she perk up?

Can your vet run a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis is the issue?

I don't know if I've ever really seen a "timeline" of failure to thrive. There's so many factors, I would say though, the first week, but that's just a guess is you want a time limit.

If you put her near the other chicks, will she perk up?
She's near the others but seems indifferent to them (they, on the other hand, are seriously high strung). She's alert and happy. She just sits a lot.

My husband wants to keep her as a house chicken. My son is home most of the time, and I can always take her to work with me.

I'm most worried about her growth. She's sooooo small. Is that normal for Polish? She's getting her feathers, but she's not much bigger than the day I got her.

Oh, what did I go and do? Smh...

So I'm looking ahead to when Myrtle will have to go out and join the big flock. I can't integrate her on her own, right? Recipe for disaster! So I called around and found some 2 week old EEs at a feed store not too far from here.

I get them home and see that they are HUGE compared to Myrtle. And they are the same age (their shipment date was 1 day before my shipment date). I have them in a "see but don't touch" setup.

I know Polish are small, but this is crazy. She looks like a bantam next to these two.

Starting to wonder if Myrtle should just be a house chicken. Or I can rehome these two and get some day old chicks.

I don't know what to do.
I have read that some Polish need lots more protein than normal chicks, perhaps you could start her on some game feed starter and add some poultry cell vitamins too. I have a slow growing Polish and started feeding him some quail feed to see if it would help. What a little fighter Myrtle is!!

I have read that some Polish need lots more protein than normal chicks, perhaps you could start her on some game feed starter and add some poultry cell vitamins too. I have a slow growing Polish and started feeding him some quail feed to see if it would help. What a little fighter Myrtle is!!
Oh, that's good to know! Thank you for that! Have you noticed any difference with the quail feed?

I'm also wondering if all the antibiotics are somehow interfering with vitamin absorption or something. Im also wondering if the fact that she didn't eat much those first few days has set back her development. And I've been taking her outside to get sun to see if that helps.

Starting quail feed would be easy! I'll get some tomorrow!

Good suggestion about increasing the protein for a little while.
She may just be quiet, some chicks are.
Does she seem to be able to see out of the eye since the infection is gone?
I think so, but she keeps it closed most of the time. I'm still having to put antibiotic ointment in her eye for the next couple of days. I'm sure that's no fun.

And I think there's scar tissue in there. I have the feeling she will stop using it entirely if she hasn't already.

Oh, that's good to know! Thank you for that! Have you noticed any difference with the quail feed?

I'm also wondering if all the antibiotics are somehow interfering with vitamin absorption or something. Im also wondering if the fact that she didn't eat much those first few days has set back her development. And I've been taking her outside to get sun to see if that helps.

Starting quail feed would be easy! I'll get some tomorrow!
I just started using it yesterday, so no obvious signs yet! I hope it helps little Myrtle ❤️ She got super lucky with you!

I want to give her a little more vitamins. I have poultry cell. Do I mix it at the same concentration as adult chickens?

It might be vitamin d3 deficiency:
"Retarded growth and severe leg weakness are the first signs noted when chicks are deficient in vitamin D3. Beaks and claws become soft and pliable. Chicks may have trouble walking and will take a few steps before squatting on their hocks. While resting, they often sway from side to side, suggesting loss of equilibrium. Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds." (Merck)

I will start the poultry cell and sunlight therapy tomorrow. Hopefully, I caught it early enough (if that's what it is) and we can reverse some of her symptoms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom