Week old silkie chick with umbilical sore?

ItsYelik

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2021
Hey friends. I have a week old silkie chick that started crying and preening their stomach profusely. I looked them over and noticed a sore on their stomach. A little research into chick anatomy led me to the conclusion that it may be where the umbilical cord was. I have never had this issue with any chicks, so I’m wondering if you guys have any advice. There was no sore yesterday or even a few hours earlier. We cleaned the area the best we could and didn’t see any blood. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Picture attached below

Attachments

• 3AD35D2D-7EF0-48CD-AAA2-9173AA2CECAD.jpeg
    3AD35D2D-7EF0-48CD-AAA2-9173AA2CECAD.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 16
I would keep it cleaned and apply a little triple antibiotic ointment.
Can you tell if it's from her picking at it or has the navel opened up a bit?
At a week old, all that should be closed up.

Thank you for replying, we’ll continue to keep it clean and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the area. It looks like it hasn’t been opened, but she insists on preening around the area, however she avoids the actual navel spot.

Update: She was able to rest up a little. I checked the area and it looks much better, she might’ve got something stuck in her fluff. She’s very much so a little princess so I think that upset her and she might’ve ripped at her fluff by accident. She’s doing much better this morning and is leaving the area alone.

Back
Top Bottom