I love them I think you may have some cocks in your hands!!!! Do they have names? What's their future coop look like? are they friendly? Who's ur fave? Looking forward to learning more about your flock!
Yeah, but I havent heard any crowing yet so still keeping my fingers crossed LOL.

My neighbors are pretty nice and our ordinances dont explicitly restrict cockerels (just says small animals can't be a nuisance), but yes, unfortunatley I'll have to rehome any cockerels. Hoping to end up with 8 or 9 chickens (currently have 11). They're all named but I'll be keeping those to myself :)

Naturally OE1 (suspected cockerel) and OE2 are my favorites. OE2 usually comes to me or hops on my shoulder if I'm in the vicinity. They're currently in an enclosed coop + run area and I've been letting them out into our larger garden area for a couple hours each day.

All of them are super friendly. I have young children so I've been making a point of handling them or being around them almost every day (my hands are permanently cracked from all the extra hand washing I've been doing these past couple months!).

Praire Bluebell Egger 4 (PBE4)
PXL_20230304_185908862_1W.jpg
PXL_20230316_154446812_2W.jpg
PXL_20230323_161848650_3.5W.jpg
PXL_20230403_153619598_5W.jpg

PXL_20230410_145527175_6W.jpg

My flock

My year old jersey giants
Blossom
Jessie
Lily
Marigold

My year old buff Orpingtons
Hope
Daffodil nicknamed Daffy

My eight week old chicks
My calico Cochin cocks
Henry
George
My frizzle Cochin pullet
Amelia

My five week old silkies
Tilda
Belle
Leia
Evelyn

Notes:
Marigold is top hen and Hope is bottom all are lap chickens Daffy likes to be rocked like a baby!!!! Lily and Hope love to sit on my shoulders they come when callled for treats they sometimes get nervous or strangers the jersey giants are older then the buff Orpingtons I don't have a favorite because I love them all and I think my chickens are the best chickens in the world!!!! My chickens like to nibble hair and yes I am a crazy chicken lady!!!!

My adopted hen
Blue laced Wyandotte
Josephine

Note:
She is getting pretty friendly she is not a lap chicken yet I put her in with the other chickens today they are doing great she was hurt by roosters at her old home my friend loved her tons and wanted her to have a good home so she gave her to me!!!
How she got hurt
My friend had like 20 something hens but seven roosters the roosters would all mate with her one after the other and so it broke her leg my friend kept her in a dog kennel for five weeks until she healed then gave her to me!

Yeah, but I havent heard any crowing yet so still keeping my fingers crossed LOL.

My neighbors are pretty nice and our ordinances dont explicitly restrict cockerels (just says small animals can't be a nuisance), but yes, unfortunatley I'll have to rehome any cockerels. Hoping to end up with 8 or 9 chickens (currently have 11). They're all named but I'll be keeping those to myself :)

Naturally OE1 (suspected cockerel) and OE2 are my favorites. OE2 usually comes to me or hops on my shoulder if I'm in the vicinity. They're currently in an enclosed coop + run area and I've been letting them out into our larger garden area for a couple hours each day.

All of them are super friendly. I have young children so I've been making a point of handling them or being around them almost every day (my hands are permanently cracked from all the extra hand washing I've been doing these past couple months!).

Yes my chickens are super friendly too! My two cocks didn't crow until eight weeks which was yesterday!!! One crowed for the first time yesterday the other crowed a few days before good luck!!! Hope you don't have to rehome anyone

Blue (splash) laced red wyandotte (SLRW1) - has more of a uniform white lacing than the other (SLRW2 has a light gray lacing). Called "golfball" in my head for the first few weeks because they were so fluffly and round as chicks.

PXL_20230304_190100531_1W.jpg

PXL_20230304_190110447_1W.jpg

2W - on the right
PXL_20230316_154722559_2W.jpg
PXL_20230316_154828570_2W.jpg

3.5W - on the right. SLRW2 is on the left
PXL_20230323_162131265_3.5W.jpg
PXL_20230323_162135236_3.5W.jpg

PXL_20230403_152215352_5W.jpg

PXL_20230410_144615405_6W.jpg
PXL_20230410_144556132_6W.jpg

Blue (splash) laced red wyandotte (SLRW2) - purchased pullet but suspected cockerel based on the rust color developing on the wing... though I've heard wyandottes are typically hard to visually sex? Is more of a light gray lacing than SLRW1; lacing isn't as uniform.
PXL_20230304_190225504_1W.jpg

PXL_20230316_154739115_2W.jpg

PXL_20230316_154722559_2W.jpg

3.5W - on left
PXL_20230323_162156687_3.5W.jpg

PXL_20230323_162135236_3.5W.jpg

PXL_20230403_153036753_5W.jpg

PXL_20230410_145630103_6W.jpg

My flock

My year old jersey giants
Blossom
Jessie
Lily
Marigold

My year old buff Orpingtons
Hope
Daffodil nicknamed Daffy

My eight week old chicks
My calico Cochin cocks
Henry
George
My frizzle Cochin pullet
Amelia

My five week old silkies
Tilda
Belle
Leia
Evelyn

Notes:
Marigold is top hen and Hope is bottom all are lap chickens Daffy likes to be rocked like a baby!!!! Lily and Hope love to sit on my shoulders they come when callled for treats they sometimes get nervous or strangers the jersey giants are older then the buff Orpingtons I don't have a favorite because I love them all and I think my chickens are the best chickens in the world!!!! My chickens like to nibble hair and yes I am a crazy chicken lady!!!!

My adopted hen
Blue laced Wyandotte
Josephine

Note:
She is getting pretty friendly she is not a lap chicken yet I put her in with the other chickens today they are doing great she was hurt by roosters at her old home my friend loved her tons and wanted her to have a good home so she gave her to me!!!
How she got hurt
My friend had like 20 something hens but seven roosters the roosters would all mate with her one after the other and so it broke her leg my friend kept her in a dog kennel for five weeks until she healed then gave her to me!
Adorable! Yes, I've really been enjoying this process too! And good on you for rescuing Josephine - sounds like she's living in your "lap of luxury" (pun intended) now <3

Hopefully this helps other olive eggers (chick owners in general) figure out what they got RE: pullet vs. cockerel! I'm planning to update this thread weekly as they grow so stay tuned!

I will!!! I have a book like is where it follows three hens as they grow but this isn't even better because I can ask questions and share about my flock too!!

I've always admired @heidibee's growth threads. I wish I knew the outcome of her secondary one with the olive eggers in 2020 because I feel like mine looks so similar (and I ordered mine from Mypetchicken as well!); but her first thread with the splash laced wyandotte coloration gives me hope that my SLRW2 is actually a pullet!! 🤞🤞

Thread 1: 'Weekly Chick Growth - Marans, Olive Eggers, Cream Legbar, Buff Orphington, Wyandotte' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eam-legbar-buff-orphington-wyandotte.1226492/

Thread 2: 'Watch my chicks grow!' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/watch-my-chicks-grow.1349491/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom