weighing chickens

archeryrob

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Western Maryland
Does anyone else do it while they are alive? I used to use a kitchen scale but they hens aren't cooperative and the rooster about need a neck ringing to still still. Last time I tried it I would have made a sailor blush.

So I was thinking about using this fishing scale and getting a small rope with two loops, one on each end. Slide the rope through the loop on each end and over the feet to hang them upside down. They seem to get docile when they get hung upside down. Thinking about trying this after dark, any thoughts on a better way?

71U2Xb9scsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I put them in a small pet carrier and subtract the weight of the carrier. I put the cage on a postal scale. It has a 'hold' so it keeps the weight after item removed, for items that cover the display. I have used a 5 gallon bucket and the fish scale, it gives a ballpark figure, not real accurate
some people hold the animal and get on the human scale. Mine don't care to be held.

They seem to get docile when they get hung upside down. Thinking about trying this after dark,
Ya, I'm not fond of the upside down thing... despite the calming effect... just in case of accidental aspiration on a bird I'm not ready to process yet.

I have seen folk use a pillow case or a 5 gallon bucket to sit the bird in. Keeping it dark and using a headlamp... should definitely help them remain somewhat calm and prevent chasing.

I have used the loop on ankles, upside down... for processing instead of a cone, for trial... I found it difficult to loosen the loops off the legs as I want to reuse the rope. :confused:

Beyond those thoughts, nothing wrong with doing what ya gotta. Of course I've also stepped on a standard human scale with a bird in hand... but that could get old fast depending on the size of your flock. :)

I could use the same scale and a bag with handles. I like that one.

I never had trouble with one dieing from being upside down. I hung my biggest rooster upside down for two minutes last time I weighed them. That is the only way I could get him to stop squawking, kicking and flapping.

Also years back when taking care of the neighbors chickens when he was in Florida, I found his rooster hanging in a chain link fence. His foot was about 4' off the ground and his foor and spur went through and hung him there. I almost didn't notice him as he wasn't moving. Even thought he was dead pulling him out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom