Weird Chicken Crop!!?

HenMomma7650

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Hi guys me again another question about the runt that hatched (we call them chicken nugget now :love)
About a week ago we found what looked to be a bubble we decided to keep an eye on it when we realized it was the babies crop!:eek: It’s not a question about the crop but more on where it is, the crop is more left and up about where the neck connects to the body. I found some chicken anatomy and it is supposed to be towards the center but this is more up and left. I check around and no it is not a ruptured air sac sometimes after feeding chicken nugget I can see food and on some days I find it smaller to nothing so it should be their crop.

My question is, is this bad?Is the crop just something that happens when a chick hatches too early or too late? Or is it something that might be dangerous and I should take them to the vet?

From what you describe, I think the crop is probably fine.

It is normal for a chicken's crop to be a bit off-center. It's also normal for it to move around a little bit.

If you have other chickens, try feeling for the crop on each of them to get an idea of what is normal.

Crops are usually empty when a chicken wakes up in the morning, partly full during the day, and very full just before they go to sleep at night. Then they spend the night digesting the food in the crop, and it's empty again by morning.

Is the crop just something that happens when a chick hatches too early or too late? Or is it something that might be dangerous and I should take them to the vet?

Every chicken has a crop. It's their stomach. It just sticks out the front where it's easy to find--bird are weird that way.

From what you describe, I think the crop is probably fine.

It is normal for a chicken's crop to be a bit off-center. It's also normal for it to move around a little bit.

If you have other chickens, try feeling for the crop on each of them to get an idea of what is normal.

Crops are usually empty when a chicken wakes up in the morning, partly full during the day, and very full just before they go to sleep at night. Then they spend the night digesting the food in the crop, and it's empty again by morning.

Every chicken has a crop. It's their stomach. It just sticks out the front where it's easy to find--bird are weird that way.
The crop isn’t the stomach... the crop just stores the food until it goes down into the actual stomach.

The crop isn’t the stomach... the crop just stores the food until it goes down into the actual stomach.

Actually, I do not think a chicken has a part called "stomach." It has a crop and a proventriculus and a gizzard and...

But I said "stomach" to point out a similarity:
On people, we swallow food and it goes into the stomach.
On chickens, they swallow food and it goes into the crop.

Back
Top Bottom