Weird Craigslist ad

Two Creeks Farm

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Hedgesville, WV
1st, i'm a pretty big redneck. Have no issues culling a farm animal when required. Ive been on a farm my entire life and had to do the deed on just about every animal you can imagine.

This on craigslist however has me shaking my head a wee bit. I am 100% positive there are folks who may indeed be allowing an animinal to suffer because they cant afford a vet or cant do it themselves, but to openly announce this service seems a bit odd. Maybe im just getting soft.

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/grd/2563186598.html

Last edited:
I guess it'd be ok, if a butcher advertised his slaughtering services, though? I really see no difference....Maybe the person is looking for free meat. I doubt if you could eat meat, which was full of barbituate.

Quote:
Well, the ad doesnt state sickly, so you could be correct on a different way for someone to obtain some free meat. Maybe its just the way the ad is laid out that makes it seem weird, to me atleast. It is a legit service, as stated, there are times when the deed needs to be done, just a bit unusual even for the internet LOL! It comes off more like a "killer for hire" instead of a slaughtering service even in scope they are one in the same.

The first 2 are expensive around here.The last 2 atleast $100 and a few times $50. Maybe they just want some free animals,but I always seen that posted as is:Need to get rid of an animal I will take it.Never saw a cull post.

yes it is funny wording i have seen ads like this. he may want free meat to feed hunting dogs or something maybe or his family not sure but as long as the meat went to good use i see no problem.

Is it legal? In one way or another, most likely not. Even if you assume that all it is some ordinary, innocent home butcher, which it probably is not.

Every place has regulations about how large animals are disposed of - and how they have to be handled, fed and transported beforehand, and even, how the carcass is handled/cuts are refrigerated, etc. Most states require any animals intended for human consumption must be inspected and certified by a trained inspector, safe for eating - in most cases a home butcher is very limited even as to what he can do with the animals on his own property, let alone letting them go somewhere.

There are a lot of backyard slaughter yards these days. They are illegal in most states in the USA. I think that's what this one sounds like.

That he does not take horses is odd, but most likely, he doesn't have much call for horse meat.

This guy is probably running one of those illegal slaughter yards.

A lot of animals are getting stolen these days, and people will get a couple dollars for them from a guy like this.

They keep the animals in very bad conditions, don't feed them, til they get a call for that type of meat, then the animal is put down - usually very inhumanely. It's pretty nasty. They try to stay below the radar so they can run a filthy place and not take care of the animals properly - that costs too much. There have been a couple exposes recently about these places in my area. A lot of them are within the city - the animals are in tiny pens with no shelter.

There's something odd about the ad though, that makes me think he's not running an illegal slaughter operation or feeding a pack of hunting dogs, as he emphasizes that the animals are being 'bad'.

The other possibility that occurs to me, is that he is one of these 'snuff guys' - they video tape torturing and killing animals and sell the videos on the internet to - to people who are interested in that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Very Odd!
hmm.png

As long as he is in an Agricultural zone I can't imagine it is legal since he specifically says Dogs and cats are not included. As long as it is Livestock and Poultry I can't see it being illegal in any way.
That said, I am not sure I agree with the wording "Do you have an animal that is being a giant pain the the keester and attacking everything and needs to go?" but I guess it is a legitimate service. Maybe wording like "if you have an animal that has become more than you can handle...etc." would have been better, maybe? He may use the meat, fur, skin etc. for something and could put that in the add so it didn't seem so weird and people would feel better about putting an animal down to go to good use. But the way it is worded is totally weird, I agree!

Looks like this person is seeking either free meat, or trying to stay under the radar by not advertising hidden costs.

Back
Top Bottom