Weird egg

small one was from the last girl to lay eggs

Well the last chicken to lay has been given me a rubber egg a day for a few days, after her first two or three eggs were normal, until yesterday. When she laid me a weird egg. Today I got a slab sided egg. That's an egg that crashes into the egg in front of it before that egg was laid. Yesterdays is on the right, it weighs 52grams, today's egg weighs 62. You can see the smaller egg came out with more damage. Both will be enjoyed by me. Yesterdays egg was in the nest, today's was at the entrance to the coop. Apparently she was rushing to the nest but, just couldn't make it.
GC

Yup, you guessed it. Got another this morning, a slab sided egg. They are coming out so fast they are crashing into the one in front. She's pumping em out at around every 21 hours.
Being last to lay, it seems like her system is playing catch up. At least they're not rubber eggs now. GC
@aart She looks and act's healthy. Her first 3 eggs were normal. Then 5 rubber eggs. Hopefully the next will be normal. At least this egg was in the nest, unlike yesterday. GC

All this is normal for young layers or stressed birds. Going into or after molt Ive gotten weird eggs from my hens.
And not unusual to find eggs all over when young hens start, they have accidents and dont make it to the nest box.

But normally the eggs are fine to eat, even the leather shells.

I had to leave before I can collect them all, And they use the same box I'm always worried one will break and they will taste it and turn into egg eaters I try to grab the eggs quick..the stress of chickens lol

All this is normal for young layers or stressed birds. Going into or after molt Ive gotten weird eggs from my hens.
And not unusual to find eggs all over when young hens start, they have accidents and dont make it to the nest box.

But normally the eggs are fine to eat, even the leather shells.
Oh yeah, I don't like to waist food. If it's not broken, I'll eat it. Them rubber eggs were delicious. But if you are putting a rubber egg in the fridge till morning, put it into a snack bag. Because the egg white will evaporate. The egg in the bag did not evaporate. Here is the rubber egg that was stored in egg carton, not in bag GC
very little white left.

Got those eggs occasionally from my new layers last year, after few weeks never had them since.
Wow, I thought my pullet was unique. Darn, I guess I won't be able to retire. You know like the goose that laid the golden egg. Well anyway she laid a perfect egg yesterday. So the dream I had, was just a dream. GC

Back
Top Bottom