Weird Eye Issue with two of my girls!

lil cheepers

Chirping
May 7, 2008
Stafford Springs, CT
So we have five female chickens that were a year old this past April. No roosters. We went on vacation last week and our neighbors took care of the chickens (and have had chickens in the past.) They reported no problems. I didn't notice anything wrong with the girls when we came home on Sunday but today I noticed that two of the girls have one eye each that looks almost swollen. It's the same eye on both girls. The eyes themselves look fine but it's more the area around it. One of them seems like just the upper eye lid is swollen. On the other girl, the upper eye lid and then the large red, featherless area that is all around the top half of the eye is all swollen. This girl also has what looks like tiny bubbles forming in the front corner of the eye. It just looks like little bubbles, clear, no weird color or smell or goop. The swollen parts do feel a little warmer than their other skin areas.

Both girls are acting fine, laying eggs, eating, hanging out in the yard like normal. these two girls are actually one and three on the pecking order and there aren't feathers missing so I don't think it's a pecking issue. The only other weird thing is that the girls went into their brand new coop permanently last week before we went on vacation. I guess they could have bumped their eyes on the same thing but it seems like there would be some sort of cut or wound and I can't find anything like that. The other three girls look fine. No issues.

Here's a picture of Zappa, our Barred Rock, with the worse eye. If things don't look like they are improving tomorrow, I will call the vet for advice. But just wondering if anyone can give any other suggestions! Thank you!

10048_chicken_eye_issue_001.jpg

10048_chicken_eye_issue_002.jpg

Looks like your girls have a little cold virus. Put some vetRx on a q-tip and press to upper inside of the mouth and when the pus runs out wipe clean with a paper towel that is moist ( pus will run from the eye area) . Give them a breather and do it again until no more puffiness. Rub some vetRx around the eye and put clean cool water out for them ,maybe add some vetRx to their water for a couple of days. I have had this same problem with me game hens and a couple of my RIR hens. Hope this helps.
yippiechickie.gif

Google 'Coryza', and see if the symptoms match. That was the first thing that popped into my mind while looking at the pictures.

Regardless, the vetRx, or if you don't have that, maybe some saline solution would help.

Hope she recovers quickly
smile.png

Is vetRX something I can likely get at a feed store?

I did look up Coryza and really the only similarities so far is the puffy eye lid are and foamy bubbles from the eye. I would guess that all of the other symptoms could show up in the next few days but I'm hoping they'll get over it quickly. Coryza sounds pretty scary!

I'll look for the vetRX or try the saline solution at the very least. Thanks for the tips and if any one else has any suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Did the area smell bad? If not, it could be another bacterial issue such as M. gallisepticum.

If you medicate, Tylan will treat both. LS50 will treat MG. If it's a one eye cold, drops sometimes work.

You can get vetRx at the feedstore. If they don't have it for poultry, check the rabbit section. You can use the saline solution first - or use Sterile Eye Wash from the first aid section of the pharmacy. As the pharmacist if you don't see it. It's the combination of sterile water and boric acid, meant to be safe for eye injuries. Flush the eye and then treat.

You can also use terramycin opthalmic ointment, also available at the feed stores. You might have to ask the clerk as it's often kept behind the counter because of its pocketability.
smile.png

While you're there, look to see which antibiotics they have. Just in case. IF you use antibiotics, buy probiotics from the feedstore or grocery/pharmacy as you won't be able to use yogurt with the drug if it contains -mycin or -cycline. Probios is my favorite and used by feed manufacturers.

Last edited:
I got the sterile wash, terramycin and VetRX. i didn't get they Tylan yet but our feed store does have some. if I get the Tylan, how much do I give? The bottle dosages are for cattle and swine.

Also, it was recommended to put the VetRX on a cotton swab and dab the upper roof of their mouths. Is there an easy way to get their mouths open? I'm pretty skilled at pet wrangling for medications but every time I pry their beak open, they shrink their heads back and shake!

The area still doesn't smell at all and the only discharge seems to be the clear bubbles from the inside corner.

Tylan is expensive but is a broad spectrum antibiotic and will work much better. Mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7 to 10 days. Use it as the only water source for all of your chickens. You must treat all of the chickens that you have. Tylan is funny to mix. Put the Tylan in a DRY jar and then add 1/2 cup water. Put top on and shake well. Then add that water to the gallon of water minus 1/2 cup. Not sure why but if you add Tylan to water it will not mix.

Im sure you caught this early and everyone will be fine. You do have to throw away the eggs for 2 weeks. I just scrambled them and fed back to the chickens. Keeps their appetite up and provides extra protein.

the Tylan at my feed store is labeled as an injectable. Is that still the same type to mix with water?

Can I eat the eggs from the girls that don't have an issue? The two that have the eye problems have distinctive eggs! Should we just not be eating the eggs while they are getting the Tylan or is it more because of the problem going on in their bodies or both?

Thanks for the information!

Sit down somewhere. Put the bird's body inbetween your legs and squeeze. Grab the skin underneath the bottom part of the beak and open. When she shrinks back, use your upper torso as a "blocker".

When she has hit the 'block' of your body, you can grab the bottom portion of her beak at the "hinge" or where the beak meets the rest of the head. Open 'er up!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom