Weird Growth Off Chicks Butt??

AQuailNamedFrancis

Songster
6 Years
Sep 10, 2017
Colorado
Hey BYC, Sorry for a second post within 2 days...

Anyway, one of my quails just hatched with something coming off his butt??? And his feet are all curled up??? Is the poor guy deformed and is there any way to fix it??

Thanks so much. I really hope the little guy can survive this. Btw, He just hatched (7:35ish pm)

Attachments

• QuailButt.JPG
    QuailButt.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 28
Curled toes can be fixed if you act within the first day or so; after that, everything "hardens up", so to speak, and the toes stay bent. There are multiple guides online, on BYC specifically, that go into how to fit a "shoe" onto a chick using tape/bandaids/etc.

If it's skin/umbilical cord hanging off the chick, it should either absorb or dry up and fall off. No need to intervene unless their belly looks yolky (unabsorbed).

I've heard that curled feet can sometimes be caused by riboflavin deficiency, but I don't know how you'd test that without letting your correctional window go by. Probably best to get some shoes on while they're still "bendy".

Not my pic, but something like this. Toes spread like they would be normally. They look pretty pathetic while they're on, but it should help. Within a couple days, everything hardens up in the right position. Some guides say change every day, some say keep them on until they fall off. Would be worth doing a little research (but almost anything you do will be better than letting the feet stay curled).

quail shoe.jpg

From my notes & experience, went through it once with a chick at 3wks. I fed boiled egg yolk (not all at once) mixed with Chick Starter & made it a mash.

Curly Toe Paralysis - Riboflavin deficiency; Poly Visol without iron, Vitamin B Complex, Nutri Drench, foods rich in riboflavin (eggs, ground raw almond, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc )

Sandals to straighten out the toes & vitamins to correct the deficiency. The baby vitamin Poly Visol without the iron is pricey, Nutri Drench is just as good. What are you feeding?
You may need to keep it separate, the others may trample it or pick on it's sandals. You could section off the brooder, where it can see the rest yet protected.

Can't make out what's coming off it's butt, could you get another pic not that it's dried off?

Hey everyone!

All the quails are looking great! I moved 4 of the fluffy ones into the brooder. (AND the one that had curl toe I fixed with tape, and he or she is walking great and eating! Thank you for all the support on that btw! Freaking love this website)

But, like 20 mins ago another chick hatched so I guess I will just move him to the brooder later? Anyways the one that just hatched still has a bit of umbilical cord stuck on him and on his egg. Should I pull it off or just let it come off on its own.

You've probably already dealt with this, but just clip the dried cord close to the body. And you want to make sure they are bopping around (mostly dry and standing) before you move them to the brooder. They need to be able to regulate their temperature by moving closer or farther from the heat, and if they are still weak from hatching they have trouble doing that.

Back
Top Bottom