1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by outdoorsii, Aug 7, 2012.

1. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Im glad shes doing better, I found this article on egg drop syndrome this is a quote from it, luckily you don't have it cause from what I have read its not in the US yet.

"Ducks and geese are the natural host of the EDS virus. It was first described in chickens in the 1970s and was spread all over the world except to the United States and Canada. The disease is most severe in broiler breeders and brown egg layers. White layer lines are less affected". http://www.lah.de/Egg-Drop-Syndrome.93.0.html

Good luck hope she continues with the normal eggs lol

Aldo

1 person likes this.
  2. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    NaturalMom, I don't know what your bird's reproductive cycle looks like but IF (not attacking you, yo) your bird is/was laying funky eggs after they're past juvvie stage, then yes there IS an issue. Whatever it is - lack of calcium, copper, high stress, COC, Markek's vaccine passing through, infectious bronchitis (as is often the case with wrinkly eggs), Inherited Newcastle Disease, etc, whatever.

If they were mine, I certainly wouldn't eat those eggs unless I knew exactly what was wrong with the bird(s). Even then, I'd garbage it & de-contaminate the area just to be sure. Natural Mom, I really do hope your bird is doing much better. But if in the next few months she's not laying her eggs as frequently anymore then I would at least try to find out what's up with her (EDS does not outwardly affect the appearance of the chicken).

Btw, I see folks quote the same text as redrstr did, which is re-quoted from other sites. The words Egg Drop Syndrome may not be 'recognized' in the US, but that's not to say it isn't there. Where is the date on that quote? Who is stating whether or not it's in the US? Where's the study group(s) & what's the date on their last study?

Just concerned is all. I like that this thread shows wacky pics of eggs. I just don't want someone to say to another user here, "Oh they're completely fine!" when the chicken(s) could very well need some help. Whatever it may be.[​IMG]

3. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I just think this one looks neat[​IMG]

4. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    lol like it got scuufed up coming down the runway lol [​IMG]

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Another from the same hen, spotted brown n cream egg[​IMG]

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx

Lol right! I jus noticedb that after you said something. She hs been laying odd eggs lately, but all well shelled

7. redrstr29

Mar 19, 2013
    She needs a new ink ribbon in her printer lol....mine do that too then it goes back to normal

8. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    The one from the other day looks soo neat.. it is evenly freackled with dark brown and cream.. so neat

9. saracalderas

saracalderas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Centeral Utah
    Not really weird or odd, just pretty. My white rock usually lays regular brown eggs but she has been getting creative lately. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Okay my girls were born 2/23/13. That means they are now 4 mos old and should start laying any day now. Yippeee! My roosters are doing the rooster thing, now I'm just waiting for my hens to do their hen thing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by