WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Pics
I got an egg like this yesterday, then this one again today. What's up with this?

I don't know "officially", but just to say, we sometimes get eggs with that type of spiral end or extra stuff, and it seems to be when they are coming out of molt/winter cessation of laying, when they come back to laying they seem to have more of those types, or, when they are just starting. But that is based on my tiny flock of 9 hens for the last 3 years.

Wanted to mention I also have pet potbelly pigs (2). My oldest is 16yo. What characters!

--Victoria

Hmmm...little blip in the shell gland?
Is she a new layer?
Is the shell smooth under the bump? Take a look at it from inside the shell.
I'll crack it tomorrow. I'm on my way out the door.
Just wanted to say, I am pretty sure this is a new layer, though it could be an EE coming out of her molt. I didn't see who laid it. I have an EE who was hatched Oct 1st and she has been singing her egg song, but I haven't seen her in the nest, just singing.
I'll let you know what I find when I crack it.

Clue me in...please...is the bloom what makes my brown eggs pinkish ...dull

Not necessarily. Some eggs may have that but all eggs have bloom on them. When an egg is layed it is wet which is the bloom but dries very quickly. I have like that too at times but not sure what causes it but it doesn't seem to wash off.

Hmmm...little blip in the shell gland?
Is she a new layer?
Is the shell smooth under the bump? Take a look at it from inside the shell.

I'll crack it tomorrow. I'm on my way out the door.
Just wanted to say, I am pretty sure this is a new layer, though it could be an EE coming out of her molt. I didn't see who laid it. I have an EE who was hatched Oct 1st and she has been singing her egg song, but I haven't seen her in the nest, just singing.
I'll let you know what I find when I crack it.
Could a newbie....or a return to laying after molting too. Egg machine just not quite tuned up (or back up) yet.

Quote:
Next time I get one like that, I'm going to pay better attention. I'll look through the eggs I have and see if there are any. I get them, not often, but once in awhile.

Forgot to mention that I have had an almost non stop molt for the past few months. Some molted a few months ago and some are going through molt now. I also have some fairly new layers, so I will pay better attention to what coops the eggs are coming out of.

Funky bloom? I get these occasionally and one I cracked that looked like this appeared tainted (the yolk was dark orange in spots and light orange) and smelled off. Is this an egg where the bloom isn't properly formed? Or is this an instance of
where the shell is porous and just inclined to seep impurities?

The strangest egg that we ever got was from a chicken we named Lucky when she fell off of a tyson truck on her last ride. One day my dad after she had gone about a week without laying, he went out to check on the eggs and found that Lucky had lain a huge egg. He put on the counter to take a picture but it rolled and broke. Inside, there was another large egg sitting beside two yokes. He cracked the inner egg to find another egg beside the yolk. The most interior egg was a double yolker. YES, that made five yolks in that one gigantic egg!!

Back
Top Bottom