1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird Pooh!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bgates1970, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    First off, I'm a newbie.

I have 3 RIR, 3 SLW, 3 Buff Orps, 3 Leghorns and 14 pooh machines (Cornish X) which are all 2 weeks old. I've been feeding them all Durmo Chick Starter. I've on occassion given them yogurt to eat off my hand but not for 2-3 days. On Saturday I gave them some crickets because I couldn't resist seeing the chaos in their brooder. Hilarious! The egg layers are in a separate brooder so I can regulate the poop machines eating habits. In the last couple days I've noticed their pooh was like motor oil consistancy and same color, a dark brown. Not all of the birds but a few. When I'm cleaning the brooder most of the pooh is consistent.

I change their bedding every 2-3 days. I clean their waterers and feeders every day. I even have some washed sand in their brooders for dusting.

Should I be concerned?

In general they look very healthy and active. I took them outside tonight for the first time and they were in heaven doing their chicken thing.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think what you are seeing is cecal poo. They will all drop a few of those every day, and sometimes lots of treats can increase the number of those little melty hershey's you'll find.

3. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    Good to know! I was hoping it wasn't some weird illness that I haven't heard of.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh i'm glad you posted this. My chicks have this same thing. I'm glad to know they are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by