weird question about DE...

montanaSarah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
hey everyone,
i recently purchased food grade diatomaceous earth online for my hens. before purchasing i researched it quite a bit, and came upon some very interesting findings supporting human consumption. i was wondering if anyone on here takes DE themselves, and if so for what??
thanks!!

maybe with a little salt and pepper LOL

sorry, working on getting 10 posts
big_smile.png

Last edited:
the articles i read mentioned that about the DE they produce for pool filters, because they add certain chemicals to their process. the only warning against food grade was that if you breathed in a large amt you could dry out your mucus membranes. otherwise, they claim it is entirely safe...i just wanted to know if anyone on here has taken it and if it works for them.

Food grade DE does not have the "microscopic sharp edges" that DE is proclaimed to have. Unlike the pool kind, it is no more a breathing hazard than any dust. It works as a desiccant, drying out things like bugs but is ineffective once it gets wet. So taking it internally probably wouldn't work well if you're trying to get rid of parasites like worms.

That said, I did take some for around a week just for grins and didn't notice anything different. I didn't think I had worms (LOL) but you know, just to see if I felt any different or anything. I didn't.

I've read that DE does a great job detoxifying toxins from your body. I thought about trying it, but buying it online packaged in a bag makes me wonder if they packaged using clean utensils. I found a local store that sells the food grade in the 50# package that I intend to buy next. I might just try the DE myself. I don't quite know yet.

I've read that DE does a great job detoxifying toxins from your body.

Nope. Sorry. Does nothing to 'toxins' at all. Bad for insects though, so if you have insects it might help. Eating sand is cheaper.

I thought about trying it, but buying it online packaged in a bag makes me wonder if they packaged using clean utensils.

Not to worry. They didn't use any utensils at all. No need to, DE is just a special silica, so you don't have to boil, cook or purify it. It is kinda like sand. Wait a minute, I already said that.

I might just try the DE myself. I don't quite know yet.

Sure, but try it on your chickens and not yourself. Does a great job of killing fleas, mites, spiders, etc. in the coop and also dries up wet poop, but does NOTHING inside people or pets.

old.gif

Back
Top Bottom