weird regional words...

I (OMG can't believe I am admitting this) use the word (yes, the single word) usedtocould.
hide.gif
My husband thinks it is too funny. I am, however, probably the only person (besides my husband and children) in a 200 mile radius that drinks a soda.....I do NOT drink "pop" that is a sound. When we moved to Alaska we kept hearing people talking about "Breakup"....thought there must be lots of really bad relationships. LOL It took me forever to actually start thinking of it as "Spring" again when we moved here. No one here seems to know they are called a HOLLOW.....it is "the holler" which drives me batty!!! And they love to get out of "the holler" and spend some time at the local WalMark.
th.gif
OH OH....one more. I thought I was gonna die when my ex sister in law insisted she "retched" across the table.

I use the word I'ma... Like I'ma go feed the cats, or I'ma go do some laundry. I also say "durn" and people look at me like I'm a durn fool!
smile.png
I may think of more as the night rolls on...

Quote:
We also say WICKED AWESOME or just plain AWESOME a lot.
I don't know why, we just always have. It is such a habit, I don't even know I do it most of the time. People from other places just think it's weird.

Bubbler( bubblah in RI speak
tongue.png
) = Drinking fountain or water fountain elsewhere

Jersey Barrier ( RI speak ) = Large concrete wall in middle of highway.

grinder ( grindah RI speak) sub, hoagie, sandwich
smile.png

Bluemoon

well lets see, my cousin says she is going to reddin up the room. Thats from the dutch to straighten up, pretty common around here. I never knew calling a long sandwich a hoagie was uncommon. In my immediate area 'over the mountain' refers to the towns on the other side of the mountain range, these towns are primiarly coal towns where the 'coal crackers' live. People say they are 'goin up the mall' or wherever. 'Block parties' are usually given by the local catholic church and include lots of alcohol, a band and foods like pierogi, haluski, halupki, potato cakes, hot sausage and usually not a veggie to be found.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've heard tad used a few times, in my area you're more likely to hear someone say "hair" or "bit" (I'll be over in a bit, gotta move this fence over a hair.)

Back
Top Bottom