Weird Rooster behaviour

Alot of aggression is actually just an attempt to get a flock member "that would be you" to fall in line with everyone else.
Unfortunately roosters aren't very apt to saying please so their methods appear a little brutish.
The "dancing" and foot biting is slightly scandalous, they tend to find their keeper attractive especially if the bird is young and figures you're the "sure thing" he's looking for.
Mom would never turn him down.:)

So is there any chance of remediating him from charging and attacking me at this point? He's about 1.5 yrs old now! But he is a very good protector though mine do not free range, and takes good care of his Ladies!

Honestly i'd have to see how you do things. If he is outright attacking you then he sees you as a threat somehow. It could be as simple as how you carry the feed bucket that makes him uneasy.
Unsavory behavior is more likely in penned roosters with ladies to protect, so you're already dealing with a touchy guy because he and his harem are technically "trapped" as he sees it.
So is there any chance of remediating him from charging and attacking me at this point? He's about 1.5 yrs old now! But he is a very good protector though mine do not free range, and takes good care of his Ladies!

Smack him upside the head. And then do it again.

Really???

Well whatever works and is safe for both you and him. Roosters only respect those they fear. That can be accomplished in a lot of ways. The main thing is to let the rooster know that if he messes with you, he dies. That may take a little, or it may take a lot. I have my roosters wrapped around my little finger. They come begging for treats, and never act aggressive towards me because they know if they do I will not hesitate to destroy them if necessary ("I'm here to kick *ss and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.") It works out well because they know their place.

Last edited:
Chickassan, I go in to feed tonight and stood stock still. He eyes me, stares me down then eventually turns around to eat with the girls. I slowly edge over toward the coop door (this is all stand up my coop is about 8x10 and high). Then I have to swiftly unlatch the door and dash out because he will chase me out the coop. If I have something in front of me he definitely goes after it! But tonight I tried it with nothing. Tho two weeks ago with nothing he went after my leg and really nailed me!

What to do, try more of holding nothing in front of me?

Good grief.View attachment 1695173
It's not a mating dance. He was trying to herd you. There is no such thing as a mating dance, like there is no eggsong or many other behaviors wrongly attributed to aggression and domination.
There are many different types of peck, many of which are in fact displays of affection.
I have cockerels here that peck my feet. Not one has ever attacked me.
When people see hens peck roosters they often call this aggression but what in fact is happening is the hen is grooming the places the rooster can't reach.
I could go on for hours.
All I will write is the level of ignorance regarding chicken behavior is astounding and particularly so for roosters.

Hey, there's plenty of folk that read these comments and ALL of us are learning no matter at what stage of rooster ownership.
No need to be the mean girl in the coop!:idunno
It was a good comment till your last paragraph!!!!

Oh boy, before I go into any of this if this guy has spurs they'll need to go.
I notice you change speeds dealing with him, don't do that.
Just walk in, feed the birds and walk out like you're supposed to be there because you are.
Don't tiptoe for him or run from him, both those satisfy his thought process that he's done well and you were something that needed dealing with even though you aren't.
If he insists on chasing you, after he's trimmed and harmless just pick him up when he's being unreasonable. You can talk to him, even give him food if you want.
If you do this enough, he should eventually catch on that you're not anything to worry about and much too big to tackle anyway.:)
Chickassan, I go in to feed tonight and stood stock still. He eyes me, stares me down then eventually turns around to eat with the girls. I slowly edge over toward the coop door (this is all stand up my coop is about 8x10 and high). Then I have to swiftly unlatch the door and dash out because he will chase me out the coop. If I have something in front of me he definitely goes after it! But tonight I tried it with nothing. Tho two weeks ago with nothing he went after my leg and really nailed me!

What to do, try more of holding nothing in front of me?

Well after reading this thread I may be beyond help. I hope not.

I have a LARGE BS Ameraucana. He is a beauty and I believe does his job well with the 4 hens in my flock. However when he started coming at me (single female, no expecially brave), I started going in with a piece of cardboard in front of me. That just didn't help at all. Now I use a soft red plastic leaf rake which someone suggested. He still tried to go around it and get me. I do not strike him or attack him with it. I tried just going in and standing and he will turn around but if I move he comes at me and got my leg pretty good! I also have an EE hen who has never laid and they are 1.5 yrs old. There is one other EE'er and she does well. The hen that doesn't lay almost acts like my rooster! She is very dominant, pushes others away from the food, goes up to roost before the Roo, etc. I am so tempted to give them both away! I have 4 new babies in the basement and don't even want to thing about how they will integrate with this Roo and dominant EE that doesn't lay.

I realize reading this much of my Roo problems are probably done by me. He is just so big at like 2 ft tall, I cannot just reach down and hold him to the ground.

Suggestions would be most welcome. thanks

Try a different color rake. Red seems to agitate chickrns/roosters, they seem to peck at red more then anything else. My boy jumps up to get the food if I use the scoop which is red. He also has an issue with bags of all things. So I go in carrying a black fence post. It's a just in case because for the most part he keeps his distance. He gets excited when I have treats, so now I toss them before I let him out, then he "finds" them and calls the girls. If I have to catch one of the girls, he is locked away. He has babawked at me and he paces until I bring them back--very protective of the girls. I just keep my eye on him, respect what he is bred to do and he respects what I have to do.

Back
Top Bottom