Weird Rooster behaviour

Pics
I've heard that holding them and cuddling as a baby helps to keep them tamer.. but I guess it might be a gene thing.. if it's in his blood line to be mean.. there are breeds that are known to be less likely to attack..

Starri33 this is true! My other two cockerals are Breda Fowl and are well known to be a very laid back breed and these two brothers are definitely that! At almost six months old these boys are BIG and stunning! I know looks aren't everything but it's sure a bonus. They're not true brothers. Ones a blue and the other's a black and it appears Lars, the black is the more dominant.... But not bossy or mean. This carries on into adulthood. They've certainly restored my faith in cockerals/roosters in general. I respect the Breda boys and they respect me. I'm excited for the future and to watch them both mature with their girls, but they won't be interacting till around June. :rolleyes:
They'll be able to see each other in the coop, but the chicks have their own run. I sure hope that doesn't get the boys too frustrated!! But I don't have an option.
:barnie

Starri33 this is true! My other two cockerals are Breda Fowl and are well known to be a very laid back breed and these two brothers are definitely that! At almost six months old these boys are BIG and stunning! I know looks aren't everything but it's sure a bonus. They're not true brothers. Ones a blue and the other's a black and it appears Lars, the black is the more dominant.... But not bossy or mean. This carries on into adulthood. They've certainly restored my faith in cockerals/roosters in general. I respect the Breda boys and they respect me. I'm excited for the future and to watch them both mature with their girls, but they won't be interacting till around June. :rolleyes:
They'll be able to see each other in the coop, but the chicks have their own run. I sure hope that doesn't get the boys too frustrated!! But I don't have an option.
:barnie
I have Billy Bob and Speed Racer, I'm sad to say Billy Bob will be meeting his maker this weekend, he's attacked me several times over the past week while I have been out trying to work on different aspects of the new areas. Speed Racer is getting to the point of sewing his wild oats.. poor baby tried the other day and the hen kicked his butt..lol..

I have Billy Bob and Speed Racer, I'm sad to say Billy Bob will be meeting his maker this weekend, he's attacked me several times over the past week while I have been out trying to work on different aspects of the new areas. Speed Racer is getting to the point of sewing his wild oats.. poor baby tried the other day and the hen kicked his butt..lol..

Rodger will be meeting his maker in the near future too! He's tried to attack me daily, despite the feeding by hand (from the other side of the gate) he actually got my finger the other day. I'm waiting till he is a year old (in May) to see if he settles down any. Not holding out much hope! His girls, all four of them will be joining the big flock in the summer, they'll join my two beautiful, mellow Breda Fowl cockerals and this years 11 chicks, but I want the four hens to be joining an already established flock so they'll have to reestablish their pecking order. I'll miss Rodger, but on the other hand I can't do this aggressive thing anymore. I'm not enjoying the first flock anymore because of him. That'll change though.

Rodger will be meeting his maker in the near future too! He's tried to attack me daily, despite the feeding by hand (from the other side of the gate) he actually got my finger the other day. I'm waiting till he is a year old (in May) to see if he settles down any. Not holding out much hope! His girls, all four of them will be joining the big flock in the summer, they'll join my two beautiful, mellow Breda Fowl cockerals and this years 11 chicks, but I want the four hens to be joining an already established flock so they'll have to reestablish their pecking order. I'll miss Rodger, but on the other hand I can't do this aggressive thing anymore. I'm not enjoying the first flock anymore because of him. That'll change though.
I can understand that your going to miss him.. I will miss Billy Bob as well, but I just can't have him attacking people. Especially the 71 y.o. house/pet sitter I have coming in to stay for a week while the hubby and I are off on a trip.

I find it so interesting to read about everyone’s methods! I have had (and currently have) a LOT of Roos. Our property is literally divided into sections and I try to keep the free ranging birds separated. I do have several bachelor flicks and they seem very content with the arrangement. Out of my current free ranging Roos I only have one who is aggressive- Maverick. He would stalk me down and attack me with zero fear. I have always grabbed up aggressive Roos and toted them around well I do chores. This bird is so wile and aggressive there was just zero chance of grabbing him. It got to the point where he was just downright dangerous and I was terrified he would hurt a visitor. I decided to put him down but couldn’t even catch him to dispatch of him, even at night. So I decided to do a big no no and went on the all out aggressive. Whenever he came near I would throw projectiles and bat him with a manure fork. I figured if I stunned him I could kill him humanely. Eventually his attacks lessened but I still can’t safely turn my back on him. Thank goodness one of my dogs, Hazel the Kelpie, has learned to herd only this particular rooster away from me, really it’s more “driving” than herding, but this had kept Maverick from attacking me for over two years now. She pushes him at a fast trot the entire time I am in his section. If I could have caught him two years ago I would have taken him out without thinking twice. Now he provides Hazel the opportunity to express her herding instincts at least twice daily so he is tolerated. I have had many Roos who started acting out but this guy is the only one who was just incorrigible. My penned Roos always are more aggressive than the free range boys. I do have one old guy, Buddy, who has done a dance for me for years and presents me with gifts, but he has never tried pecking me. He is on the bottom of the totem pole out in the yard, so perhaps that is why it never progressed to violence. Most of my front yard Roos will actively seek out attention and a few love nothing more than jumping up on my lap and dozing off. I guess I kind of have a sweet spot for the boys!

I find it so interesting to read about everyone’s methods! I have had (and currently have) a LOT of Roos. Our property is literally divided into sections and I try to keep the free ranging birds separated. I do have several bachelor flicks and they seem very content with the arrangement. Out of my current free ranging Roos I only have one who is aggressive- Maverick. He would stalk me down and attack me with zero fear. I have always grabbed up aggressive Roos and toted them around well I do chores. This bird is so wile and aggressive there was just zero chance of grabbing him. It got to the point where he was just downright dangerous and I was terrified he would hurt a visitor. I decided to put him down but couldn’t even catch him to dispatch of him, even at night. So I decided to do a big no no and went on the all out aggressive. Whenever he came near I would throw projectiles and bat him with a manure fork. I figured if I stunned him I could kill him humanely. Eventually his attacks lessened but I still can’t safely turn my back on him. Thank goodness one of my dogs, Hazel the Kelpie, has learned to herd only this particular rooster away from me, really it’s more “driving” than herding, but this had kept Maverick from attacking me for over two years now. She pushes him at a fast trot the entire time I am in his section. If I could have caught him two years ago I would have taken him out without thinking twice. Now he provides Hazel the opportunity to express her herding instincts at least twice daily so he is tolerated. I have had many Roos who started acting out but this guy is the only one who was just incorrigible. My penned Roos always are more aggressive than the free range boys. I do have one old guy, Buddy, who has done a dance for me for years and presents me with gifts, but he has never tried pecking me. He is on the bottom of the totem pole out in the yard, so perhaps that is why it never progressed to violence. Most of my front yard Roos will actively seek out attention and a few love nothing more than jumping up on my lap and dozing off. I guess I kind of have a sweet spot for the boys!
Billy Bob has turned flat out evil.. I've gone full aggression on him, it doesn't phase him.. got to admit I am dreading this, but it's got to be done, I don't want my little roo deciding this is what should be done.. a friend is coming over tomorrow to show me how to dispatch him and bringing me another. Think it's a Jersey Giant.. always good to have new blood in the gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom