Weird substance found on egg

Elpolloloco88

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

I got home from work today to find this weird substance on one of my girls’ eggs. It’s the colour of yolk but more transparent but it has the consistency of the bit that surrounds the yolk when you crack it (don’t know the name of that!). It’s not very liquidy and sticks to the egg when it’s upside down. Has anyone seen this before and know if it’s anything to be worried about? I’m going to monitor the girls this evening to see if their behaviour is ok.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0163710F-040B-416C-B76D-A4C0D7DB3444.jpeg
    0163710F-040B-416C-B76D-A4C0D7DB3444.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 14
  • B25C1E08-1A3E-4386-A4EE-B899E0C9AA26.jpeg
    B25C1E08-1A3E-4386-A4EE-B899E0C9AA26.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 9
Hi everyone,

I got home from work today to find this weird substance on one of my girls’ eggs. It’s the colour of yolk but more transparent but it has the consistency of the bit that surrounds the yolk when you crack it (don’t know the name of that!). It’s not very liquidy and sticks to the egg when it’s upside down. Has anyone seen this before and know if it’s anything to be worried about? I’m going to monitor the girls this evening to see if their behaviour is ok.

Thanks!
I'm guessing an egg was cracked/crushed in the nest before this egg was laid, then this egg got full of it.

If not suspecting clumsy chickens, I would strengthen their shells by adding some oyster shells to a bowl and making that available. Chickens who need more calcium usually will eat it, others usually won't. I get this stuff but there are lots of sellers
1692638543081.png

I'm guessing an egg was cracked/crushed in the nest before this egg was laid, then this egg got full of it.

If not suspecting clumsy chickens, I would strengthen their shells by adding some oyster shells to a bowl and making that available. Chickens who need more calcium usually will eat it, others usually won't. I get this stuff but there are lots of sellersView attachment 3615859
Thank you this is really helpful! I didn’t see any shell residue in the nest so I didn’t automatically think it was from a broken egg, and wondered if it was some sort of substance that came out after she laid that one.. but I will definitely be picking up some oyster shell for good measure!

Back
Top Bottom