Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Good luck, Phil! Dream of fishing - that should calm the mind

Zzzzzzzz
I'm going to hit it too.

Have a good night, or day depending on which continent you are on. :)

:frow

Yeah, me too... 4 hr nap just doesn't cut it, lol...

Sleep well, y'all! 

Hope everyone slept well I did the whole "coma" thing....

Almost forgot to post the results of my hatching 'research'! lol...

15 eggs went into lockdown... 2 pipped wrong end and a 3rd tried, had to assist those... 12 internally pipped, and 8 of those externally pipped 12hrs later... put safe holes in other 4, accidentally broke open too big of a hole in 1, assisted it as well... by morning 1 with a safe hole had passed... the rest externally pipped as well... 8 'lings hatched entirely on their own, the last 2 couldn't zip due to excessive goo, assisted those 2...

So, out of 15, 8 pipped, zipped and hatched completely on their own, 6 were assisted and lost 1...

14 happy, healthy, bouncing 'lings in a nice variety of colors...

For size comparison, Lilly is the dark one towards bottom right with bill tucked into the pile, lol...

What a sweet little ducking.....I swear there isn't anything cutere than a day old ling.....

None of her own chicks have died?  Just the chicks she got from you?

ETA - 3 months sounds like a long time for it to have just crept up from your end.  Sounds like something they caught there.

ETA - I re-read again, experienced symptoms the day after she got them home, but are just dying?  :/

I agree

I know Ravyn or Walnut would have a better idea. I just want to find out if it could be something other than coccidosis. I know that all birds have it, and that's why I leave my litter seeded and feed unmedicated feed. In my experience, my chickens have been strong by gradually building up their own resistance. I want to try and help her figure out what the problem is before she takes more chicks. If there's something I can do on my end, I want to do it. Hatches before and after hers have not had this problem, and I have 6 that I kept from that same hatch that are perfectly healthy

Oh...so I've been wrong to use medicated feed on my Ducklings?

Zzzzzzzz

Hope everyone slept well I did the whole "coma" thing....
What a sweet little ducking.....I swear there isn't anything cutere than a day old ling.....
I agree
Oh...so I've been wrong to use medicated feed on my Ducklings?
no, not wrong. I just use a different approach

no, not wrong. I just use a different approach

To each their own...

It very well could be cocci, or it could be more than 1 thing going on... I've actually gotten many messages lately of some severe cocci issues... wet weather can bring more things to the surface...

Also, there are 9 different strains of cocci... what one flock is used to another may not be... Corid (Amprolium) only works for 1 or 2 strains, also... at seeing signs first day, I think her brooder temp may be high as well, like you were saying... to much heat is unforgiving of any animal, more so to a newborn...

Have you checked out your state Labs yet? Find out if you can get a free necropsy done, or if it's a reasonable price... if you want, go ahead and hatch some more chicks for her, but give them a week before letting her get them... be willing to help her out but on condition she agrees to send the next one in for a necropsy if another dies...

It sounds environmental, really... and you've never had any issues whatsoever, so I doubt it's coming from your place... btw, I brood same way... I think they do better with a bit hardier start... you don't want wet, filthy brooders, but completely sterile is overkill, I feel... you want them to be able to live in the world, lol...

Also, if vitamins are being given along with Corid, or medicated starter, that will completely counteract the medicine... all it is is a thiamine blocker to starve out the cocci...

Phil, you aren't wrong, it's personal choice... but ducks are much more resistant to cocci than chickens... plus, for a cocci outbreak, medicated feed doesn't provide the proper dosage to treat it... as long as you keep that in mind and provide full treatment when needed, you are ok...

Also, after treatment, vitamins and probiotics should be boosted to replace what the meds inhibits...

Lamey - if she had lost the chicks soon after getting them home, I'd be more inclined to think you may have had something to do with it. But over a 3 month period? It could be anything, or like Ravyn said, multiple things.

Did most of them die in the brooder? After going outside? Were they on medicated feed? Are their conditions any different than her other chickens? So many questions.

You shouldn't replace chickens that have been poorly cared for months after leaving your house.

Sell her more at a discount if it makes you feel better, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is more going on then she's told you.

Another thought... if it was something that your chicks had already contracted before going to her place, I would expect deaths of her other birds rather than it being the chicks she brought home... to me, that screams environmental whether cocci or something else...

Oh, and deaths from cocci overload can be spaced out... it all depends on when each bird hits crtical levels of overload of the protozoan...

True, but if the chicks had cocci at birth, and were kept in "perfect" conditions at the new place, including appropriate treatment, do you still think you would have multiple deaths over 3 months? Especially if none of the hatch mates at Lamey's had symptoms?

I vote environmental. But of course, I'm a natural born skeptic .

Lamey - if she had lost the chicks soon after getting them home, I'd be more inclined to think you may have had something to do with it.  But over a 3 month period? It could be anything, or like Ravyn said, multiple things.

Did most of them die in the brooder?  After going outside? Were they on medicated feed?  Are their conditions any different than her other chickens?  So many questions.

You shouldn't replace chickens that have been poorly cared for months after leaving your house.

Sell her more at a discount if it makes you feel better, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is more going on then she's told you.
I agree with both you and Ravyn. If it is something they caught from my place, I want to know what it is so I can avoid it in the future, but that long after hatch...
It would make me feel better to sell them at a discount, but I would be livid if I found out I was being taken advantage of.
I've texted her today, and she said they were not brooded with other chicks, and they have not been exposed to other chickens, her chicks and chickens are all kept in separate pens. I know that her definition of "exposed" is a little different than mine, but still. Assuming she's being honest, the chicks she got from me are the only ones having issues. She says she has hatched over 100 this year with no issues. That leads me to agree with WV that hers are carrying something mine can't handle, or they picked up something here before they left. I'll probably do like Ravyn said and hold the next batch for a week before I sell them, but it will be at least a week before I set any more

Friday, I wasn't disagreeing with you, lol... just trying to broaden perspective...

If the chicks were already loaded with cocci when she brought them home, they would've died in much shorter timeframe, I believe...

But if the cocci at her place is different than what is at Lamey's, then seeing more spaced out deaths makes sense...

I go by my gut when dealing with people, and I try to give benefit of the doubt for first set of any types of issues... but if it doesn't change or if they're not willing to do a necropsy or whatever change is suggested, then I wash my hands of it...

Last edited:
Friday, I wasn't disagreeing with you, lol... just trying to broaden perspective...

If the chicks were already loaded with cocci when she brought them home, they would've died in much shorter timeframe, I believe...

But if the cocci at her place is different than what is at Lamey's, then seeing more spaced out deaths makes sense...

I go by my gut when dealing with people, and I try to give benefit of the doubt for first set of any types of issues... but if it doesn't change or if they're not willing to do a necropsy or whatever change is suggested, then I wash my hands of it...
I won't replace them, but I'll sell more at half price. If it happens again, I'm done, too

Back
Top Bottom