Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Did she put them in a brand new pen on fresh sterile ground separated by 100 yards from other birds, including wild ones?? ::gig Just kidding.

Her environment, including the soil may have strains of stuff your birds are susceptible to.

Wonder if she's had any problems with other chicks brought in from elsewhere? Must be hard to lose the youngsters though, so I do feel bad for her.

I'm sorry, but if I bought chicks from someone and a bunch of them died, and I thought it came from them... I would NOT want to buy more from them. Why does she want more of your birds, if your place was the problem?
hu.gif

I won't replace them, but I'll sell more at half price. If it happens again, I'm done, too

And I think that is more than fair... it does seem a bit off she waited so long to ask you about issues, I would have by 2nd death... but she also might have felt hesitant to ask thinking it looked like she was just trying to place blame... :confused:

Recommend looking up Toltrazuril, water soluble version... it treats all cocci...

Did she put them in a brand new pen on fresh sterile ground separated by 100 yards from other birds, including wild ones?? :
gig.gif
Just kidding.

Her environment, including the soil may have strains of stuff your birds are susceptible to.

Wonder if she's had any problems with other chicks brought in from elsewhere? Must be hard to lose the youngsters though, so I do feel bad for her.
I told you her definition of "exposed" was different than mine
gig.gif

She says no other problems from any other birds, her own or bought elsewhere. I assume she's telling the truth, so it would be hard to lose so many birds, especially when you were looking for a specific line of a specific breed. I feel for her, I really do, and if there's any chance it's something that came from me I want to make it right.
I'm sorry, but if I bought chicks from someone and a bunch of them died, and I thought it came from them... I would NOT want to buy more from them. Why does she want more of your birds, if your place was the problem?
hu.gif
I see your point, but I don't know that I would be that extreme. She didn't text me asking for more birds, she texted to ask if I had had any problems. She was probably embarrassed when it first started happening, thought it was something she could have done, but after 6 of 9 it was time to ask. I'm just guessing, but that's my guess. I lost 4 of 15 in my black coppers, but it happens. If I had lost 75%, I would have contacted the breeder
And I think that is more than fair... it does seem a bit off she waited so long to ask you about issues, I would have by 2nd death... but she also might have felt hesitant to ask thinking it looked like she was just trying to place blame...
hu.gif

Recommend looking up Toltrazuril, water soluble version... it treats all cocci...
Yeah, that...
It's possible that maybe one chick was sick and infected the others, I don't know. What we have left it at is we will stay in touch. I will set another batch in a week or so and see where she stands at hatch

Lamey, has she given any indication as to what she is feeding. I agree with everyone in the thought that it is environmental and on her end - feed, water, exposure to her birds, stress, and the list goes on. She needs to get birds necropsied and fecals run on the remaining birds.

Sounds like a good plan. Hope her other ones stay healthy!
I told her keep her fingers crossed they are girls and I'll give her a rooster the same age for free
gig.gif

Lamey, has she given any indication as to what she is feeding. I agree with everyone in the thought that it is environmental and on her end - feed, water, exposure to her birds, stress, and the list goes on. She needs to get birds necropsied and fecals run on the remaining birds.
I just asked what she is feeding. Ravyn also mentioned the necropsies, so I'll ask her if she can take samples to a lab

Photobombing various updates...

Chicks hatched from abbevilleoz's eggs... :)

Recessive white Ameraucana hatched from my Lav and Black Split...

And new line of direct Blehm Lav Am's...

Back
Top Bottom